Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with vintage quilt tops? >

What to do with vintage quilt tops?

What to do with vintage quilt tops?

Old 03-29-2012, 05:15 AM

Think of machine quilting the tops this way--when the sewing machine first came out--they were used to quilt their quilts. Only difference now is that we can have them quilted with great designs and not just a straight line. I would have them machine quilted and that way it gives the elder lady satisfaction of being a modern lady. You will do her proud to be able to use her UFO's.
Jan
Old 03-29-2012, 05:45 AM

That is the Sierra Madre treasure of quilter's dreams...lol LUCKY YOU!

I would work at finishing them. Oddly, we were just talking about WHAT to do with these lovely vintage unfinished tops the other day. I think they should be gently (and safely out of reach) displayed as wall back drops in a "coffee-tea" sitting area at our next large local quilt show. EVERYONE loves to see these beauties... finished or not.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:08 AM

I am in the same boat with you. I would also consider contacting your local nursing home. Residence in nursing homes, if equipped, are wonderful creative quilters. The Activity Director may be able to help you out with this and the residents would probably love to get together and have a BEE.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:16 AM

Too bad you can't hand quilt them. I'd love to get my hands on something like these. They look to be in fabulous shape for their age. I think machine quilting would somehow take away from the "antiqueness" of them. But, they will still be beautiful no matter how you quilt them. Aren't you glad your daughter spoke up??? Kiss her and hug her.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:18 AM

I agree with Prism99, I would find a group or person that would hand quilt them for you. There are people on this board that hand quilt. Maybe one of them would be willing to quilt them for you. The GFG is really very pretty. Good luck and lucky you!
Old 03-29-2012, 06:23 AM

OH, that GFG is just beautiful and how lucky are you to own it. I think either way, hand or machine, quilted it will be finished and then displayed as it should be.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:27 AM

My MIL had her mother teach how to piece quilts tops back in the 1950s. After she pieced about 5 of them, she said this hobby was not for her. So they sat in a box all until.... i found them in 4 years ago. I machine-quilted them and place them on my bed. They are wonderful!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:45 AM
nms

If those were my quilt tops that I had left behind and they had been headed for the trash I would be thrilled that some one took them in. They are yours now to do with as you please. Go ahead and machine quilt them and love them!!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:17 AM

They are your quilts now just enjoy them no matter how they are quilted
Old 03-29-2012, 08:36 AM

WOW...send me what you don't want! I am drooling all over my computer screen. Machine quilting will be fine..just enjoy them...whatever you do will be better than before for sure!