Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do when lack Sewing Mood? >

What to do when lack Sewing Mood?

What to do when lack Sewing Mood?

Old 05-27-2010, 07:24 PM

Try a small project join the June Doll Quilt swap...maybe you just need something small to focus on, with a short deadline.

I know I was like that about a month ago, worked my way through it, but now with kids home from college my schedule is a bit messed up. Hopefully after this weekend things will settle down and can get back in the grove.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:12 AM

For me, the relief is to do something else! Don't sew, don't read quilt magazines, don't play around with your new machine, don't shop for fabric. These things all were very good distractions for me when I WANTED to sew but couldn't because of home renovations. But your problem right now is that you DON'T WANT to.

If your health allows, go for a walk every day. Find a good novel and get lost in it for a week. Pick a project around the house (organize some old photographs in an album).

Give yourself 7 - 8 days. Vow to yourself to not go back into the sewing room for sewing until a certain date has passed. It would be like counting down to a vacation or wedding or something. You might just get antsy to sew!
Old 05-28-2010, 05:04 AM

Ditto on feeling the same. Whew! I am glad that there are others out there. I was afraid this was a permanent thing.

Rita
Old 05-28-2010, 05:10 AM

Hey, I'm with you right now. I have not sewn a stitch in 3 weeks I even have the fabric layed out on the cutting table and that is as far as I got. I hope I will get to it this weekend. But that is what I though last weekend. LOL

YOU ARE NOT ALONE.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:14 AM

I had just finished handquilting THREE larger quilts and I was just too tired to do much of anything sewing-wise. I started making handbags - that cured me - they were short and to the point projects and now I'm back to handquilting my 'for pay' project - and I'm loving it. Also, getting together with others who enjoy the art of quilting is always a motivator for me.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:15 AM

I set up both machines and take turns using them as I learn the new one. New machines are so complex today that it can definately deter you for a while as you can not just go go go like the older one. Switching back and forth can keep your desire peeked while you learn. Happy Sewing :thumbup:
Old 05-28-2010, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by janedennis
I get that way everytime i finish a top. I dont have any thing cut yet for a new top so cant get started, if i had something cut i would work on it. I am trying to start a project but i need some fabric and cant seem to find something to go with a dallas cowboy fabric that i bought to make my son a quilt. I need a certain kind of blue and everthing i have brought home doesnt go wrong color blue. I only have two choices Walmart and joanns and was at both of them. We have two LQS's but cant afford their prices. I found a nice white to make the stars but the blue i just cant find. Any suggestions.
Try Kaufman Kona cotton, they offer many shades of blues, maybe you could find it there. It's online everywhere, like Hancocks of Paducah.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by mzsooz
Originally Posted by janedennis
I get that way everytime i finish a top. I dont have any thing cut yet for a new top so cant get started, if i had something cut i would work on it.
I make up "kits". I use ziplocks and put the fabrics, pattern, thread, etc. in there and keep a basket full of these kits under my cutting table. When I need a project I just shop in my basket!
I just LOVE your idea!!!
Old 05-28-2010, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

I've skipped some of the posts - so -

If one's quilting is a hobby/pastime/relaxation/tension reliever - -

then why would/should one feel guilty about not doing anything with it for a while?

As my Mom would say "It doesn't need to be fed or changed - - - "
Old 05-28-2010, 06:03 AM

When I can't seem to get motivated I usually just drag out all my magazines and start looking at all the pages I have marked with a project I wanted to do someday. The other thing I do is do something completely different, like clean out a high kitchen cabinet I haven't looked in for years. This usually makes me want to quilt.

To the person who received all the Australian magazines from a friend...lucky, lucky your. I love the AP&Q magazines and just found out that here in the U.S. we can't subscribe to them! What a bummer. Of course I also learned that if I could subscribe it would be higher than the $10.00 I pay at the LQS. Oh, well, it's only money.