Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do when lack Sewing Mood? >

What to do when lack Sewing Mood?

What to do when lack Sewing Mood?

Old 05-29-2010, 07:48 AM

When I am not in the mood to sew I dig out my quilt magazines and just sit and look through them. I seem to be the go to girl for magazines as many of my friends pass their magazines to me first. After I'm done I pass them on. I almost always find something to inspire me--a pattern, a fabric or maybe the way the colors are put together. When I really don't feel like sewing I cut. I find cutting pieces very calming for me. Of course it means another project to finish but I still enjoy it. All else fails, I read about quilting -- I enjoy all the Jennifer Chiaverini books as well as various other quilt related fiction. Get your friends together and if you don't already have some project going, work together to make a quilt for charity.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:30 AM

If it's nice out I do soemthing garden related. Or I try a new recipe. Ot I come to this site. It doesn't take llong before I'm quilting again
Old 05-29-2010, 08:38 AM

Take a break. Learn something new. You'll know when you're ready to go back to it. It's supposed to be fun, right? If you force yourself to do it, you will lose the joy in it.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by sabrinaquilts
Originally Posted by craftybear
just get your new machine out and start playing with it, have fun, pretend you are on vacation by yourself and sew, sew, sew
My new machine is so fancy that I keep running into snags. I would have brought out one of my old sewing machines if the new one is not so heavy to move off my table. Until my class date I have to keep the new one out. Plus my DH proudly bought it for me. If I have it put away his heart will be broken. I will keep that in mind about bringing out the sewing machine. If I can figure out a way to have another machine out to sew on maybe I can get back into my escape again. Thanks!
That's why a few years ago when my husband said to "get whatever you want" I chose a Janome over DIL's way more expensive Pfaff. I plugged mine in and started sewing, referring only occasionally to the slim manual instead of taking classes and plowing through a thick instruction book. I occasionally yearn for more room for a squashed up quilt but I'm still happy with it.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:42 AM

My best initiative was to start a quilt for "a gift". It is soooo motivational. Nothing greater than the anticipation of giving. In between working on this one, you can work on a UFO that you have been putting off.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Banned

i get down in the workroom and make the little quilts i give to Charity. They are easy and quick and at least makes me feel I am doing some quilting. On the other hand I look across the table and see all those projects I intend to do.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:03 AM

I too hit the sewing blues. Every day
I go into my sewing room and sit there looking around, putting my machine on and do nothing. My son has been diagnosed with Lou Gerhigs disease (ALS). He is only 34. I'm trying to make him a quilt to keep his legs warm but can't get started. Any suggestions?
Old 05-29-2010, 11:28 AM

I am suffering that right now. I have an order for 4 quilts out of someone's clothes and I am feeling totally unmotivated. I have finished 2 but for the life of me can't seem to get going on the remaining two.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:31 AM

I can't cut fabric when my vertigo is really active so I play video games.

Gardening or yardwork is good if I'm feeling well.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:31 AM

Oh Thea, I am so sorry for your unhappy news about your son. Think of how much comfort the quilt is going to provide for him by keeping his legs warm. Also, it will be like always being wrapped in your hugs.

Perhaps if you could find a pattern or material that was just perfect for him, that might spur you on.

Your are in my thoughts and prayers.