Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do when lack Sewing Mood? >

What to do when lack Sewing Mood?

What to do when lack Sewing Mood?

Old 05-28-2010, 10:46 PM
Google Goddess

that is very good advice!

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Go and do other things for a few weeks. Close the door to your sewing room or put your quilting all away. (I just went through about a month of that.) Picked up a magazine one day and saw a pattern that really grabbed me and then I was back in it full time! It felt like being afraid that after investing so much time and money into quilting that I'd finished with it and so had failed myself. A bit drastic perhaps but obviously we all seem to have more in common than we thought. Something I learned when suffering panic attacks: "Let time pass"
Old 05-28-2010, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
that is very good advice!

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Go and do other things for a few weeks. Close the door to your sewing room or put your quilting all away. (I just went through about a month of that.) Picked up a magazine one day and saw a pattern that really grabbed me and then I was back in it full time! It felt like being afraid that after investing so much time and money into quilting that I'd finished with it and so had failed myself. A bit drastic perhaps but obviously we all seem to have more in common than we thought. Something I learned when suffering panic attacks: "Let time pass"
Happily the pattern I came across was the New Your Beauty one from Quilter's World that I'm doing with freezer paper! So fun!
Old 05-29-2010, 12:13 AM

Or, just have a quick dip in the therapy pool for a top up? Sometimes that can get you over the hump, and seeing the Dr is no bad thing - PND can sneak back up on you. Take care, and breathe Sabrina - I hope you feel a bit better soon. Either that, or get a whole heap of blue and black fabric and make how you are feeling. I am sure that every person on this board would send you some!
Old 05-29-2010, 04:26 AM

When I read Jennifer Chiaverni books, I certainly get in the mood to quilt...maybe even by hand!!
Old 05-29-2010, 05:56 AM

I clean and reorganize my sewing room. By the time I am done with oraginizing my stash of everything from fabrics, books, notions, I am ready and inspired to move on to the next project. It works every time. Sometimes so well I do not make it completley through the cleaning/reorganizing process.
Try it , if nothing else you will have a great space when you are ready.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:05 AM

Sometimes I just let it go for awhile, take a break.

Other times, I pick a UFO and say "Today I will do SOMETHING on this UFO, no matter how small." Maybe I plan to sew at least one seam, or square up at least one block. I hardly ever stop at that one small thing, though, and pretty soon the end is in sight, and I get anxious to finish. Having a finished project to admire usually gets me thinking of new stuff I want to do.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:31 AM

Find a place to sew where you go once a week. I got a group of friends together and we rent a room in the library, everyone pays a share whether they go or not, I pay the library the first of each month and they each pay me. The extra is put into a kitty. When I get the do nothing at home I know I will be quilting at least once a week. Right now no one is sewing at home, (gardening, vacationing, baby sitting or just life in general), but we all are sewing at the library.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:32 AM

I work in the garden, knit preemie hats for the hospital, work on my dollhouses or room boxes, read a good book, (mysteries) or just go take a nap. One thing I don't do is eat.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by sabrinaquilts
What do you do when you can't seem to get back into the mood of quilting? I know for some that maybe a blasphemy, but let us just pretend seriously for a second. I don't mean burned out of doing quilting. Maybe unmotivated might be a better description. Quilting used to be an escape. I used to sew at least 3-8 hours everyday faithfully. Now I have a new sewing machine but even that is not working to boost my enthusiasim because I have to take classes to learn to really use it.

What do you do when you suddenly drop the desire to quilt and know you really need to get back into it?
For me, this is where my stash of "works-in-progress" helps a lot. if I'm unmotivated, a often grab a project that is already half finished, and since I don't have to think and decide on a new project, making progress on this one, or even finishing it helps get me restarted. This is why I never mind having UFOs!
Old 05-29-2010, 07:11 AM
Dkm

Strange. I'm in that state right now. I started having knee problems about 3 mos ago. Since I'm not a doctor fan, I've put it off. Now in pt and that takes up a lot of time.

I like to read and have been doing a lot of that, but I don't feel that accomplishes much. I really like to see some results from the day and quilting or sewing lets me feel that. I'm getting ready to start a new project today...just got to get in the sewing room and hope something happens.

Let's get going.