Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you call..... >

What do you call.....

What do you call.....

Old 02-10-2013, 08:25 AM

It is so interesting to me to hear answers from other countries and states to questions posted here...I love the name "pigs" for the starter and end pieces...looking forward to seeing more...
Old 02-10-2013, 08:53 AM

This is really interesting! Something so simple gets all confusing.. .sorta like the old game of telephone where a message is whispered from one person to another around a circle and ends up all changed from how it started. LOL

The best way to understand is really to read the explanation on the link provided earlier in this thread. I do use leaders and enders a lot, but only as piecing another project, not as little spidery scraps to toss out later. I agree that it only makes sense as a thread saver if I am putting those stitches to good use!
One thing that does cause confusion is the ender. Once you have sewn onto the ender, IT BECOMES THE NEW LEADER! I got a lot of extra blocks sewn before I figured that one out. LOL. I do a lot of chain stitching, so you only need to use the leader/ender when you are done with the particular things you are sewing and would be cutting the thread.
Instead, you grab an ender, stitch across it, CLIP IT APART FROM THE PIECE THAT IS FINISHED, and leave it under the needle. Now, when you begin your next sewing, THIS PIECE IS UNDER YOUR NEEDLE AND BECOMES YOUR LEADER.
You stitch off it, and on to the pieces you are going to join, and continue your piecing until you reach a point that you would again be cutting your thread.
Again, instead of cutting the thread, grab an ender, stitch onto it, and clip the thread at the end of your completed sewing section. The ender remains under your needle, and will thus become the leader when you start sewing again.
Once you have stitched across your leader, make a few stitches and sew onto your piecing an inch or so, then clip off the leader and place it on your finished pile for those blocks on the right side of the machine!!
I hope this makes some sense... I'm not so great at explaining things, but I love using this method and I get twice as much done in the process!. Hugsssssss and smiless!!
My favorite thing to do is make 4 Patch Poseys as leaders and enders. I cut a bunch out, then stack them on the right side of my machine where I have a special place for them.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:53 AM

yes they are real thread savers can't believe how much thread you save. I use squares right now I am doing 2" squares for two patches then will do 4 patches. when have enought will put them into a scrap quilt. so when cleaning up from a project I cut the 2" squares if can get them if bigger do 2 1/2" squares. then have them sorted light and dark by the machine in small plastic bin ready to sew.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by happyquiltmom View Post
Leaders and enders.

I don't use them. I just hold onto the threads as I start sewing.
id

Ditto. I do the same and it is so much easier.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:24 AM

I use leaders and enders that I make out of USED fabric softener sheets. I press them as my iron begins to heat and quit pressing when it starts to stick or crinkle the sheets. I fold each sheet in half, in half again the other direction and half again and touch a warm iron to the folds. They tend to clean and lubricate the needle and save ever so much thread when you use them.

PS...they smell good too.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:55 AM

snipits at least that is what i call them
Old 02-10-2013, 10:09 AM

I just want to offer my sincere thanks to Laquita for starting this thread. I am new to quilting and just starting my first quilt top. I joined the QB a few weeks ago but haven't been brave enough to ask some of my dumb questions. But, just last night I was having a terrible time with my thread balling up and my fabric getting sucked into the dark hole and was feeling so defeated. And today I open up the QB and find my solution- leaders and enders. I love reading the postings and have used the search function to solve issues I am having. For instance, I was getting frustrated with my wandering foot control and did a search here and am now using an old mouse pad to keep it in place. Thanks so much for sharing your expertise here. Keep up the good work.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by skjack View Post
yes they are real thread savers can't believe how much thread you save. I use squares right now I am doing 2" squares for two patches then will do 4 patches. when have enought will put them into a scrap quilt. so when cleaning up from a project I cut the 2" squares if can get them if bigger do 2 1/2" squares. then have them sorted light and dark by the machine in small plastic bin ready to sew.
This is what I do, except my leaders and enders are the 1-1/2" postage stamp squares. After about two years of doing this, I now have enough blocks to make a good size lap quilt -- all from scraps.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:47 AM

You explained it perfectly!

I use all the leftover bits of fabric as leaders to make a "matching" dolly bed quilt for my DGD.

Since I chain piece, it takes awhile to build up enough leaders to have enough to start a dolly quilt. At that point, press the seams of the leaders open, stack in a narrow box to the side of the machine area, and grab two to use as leaders again. Ultimately, you'll have a small dolly quilt "for free".

Dolly quilts can be crazy-quilt style or cut the odd shaped leftovers into the same width (don't worry about the length and don't worry about perfect cutting - it's for a dolly quilt!) as you make your "real" quilt. It soon becomes automatic and takes a few extra seconds. Mine are cut into 1.5-inch, 2-inch, 2.5-inch widths; different enough to easily grab matching pairs. Or if you are really organized, stop every once in awhile and pin matching-sized pairs together to make ready-to-go leaders.

Larger leftover fabric pieces are thrown into my Log Cabin Bin for later use.

*LOL* Don't wait until you finish your quilt to cut the leftovers into usable widths: that takes minutes and is overwhelming.

Ask me how I know.

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
This is really interesting! Something so simple gets all confusing.. .sorta like the old game of telephone where a message is whispered from one person to another around a circle and ends up all changed from how it started. LOL

The best way to understand is really to read the explanation on the link provided earlier in this thread. I do use leaders and enders a lot, but only as piecing another project, not as little spidery scraps to toss out later. I agree that it only makes sense as a thread saver if I am putting those stitches to good use!
One thing that does cause confusion is the ender. Once you have sewn onto the ender, IT BECOMES THE NEW LEADER! I got a lot of extra blocks sewn before I figured that one out. LOL. I do a lot of chain stitching, so you only need to use the leader/ender when you are done with the particular things you are sewing and would be cutting the thread.
Instead, you grab an ender, stitch across it, CLIP IT APART FROM THE PIECE THAT IS FINISHED, and leave it under the needle. Now, when you begin your next sewing, THIS PIECE IS UNDER YOUR NEEDLE AND BECOMES YOUR LEADER.
You stitch off it, and on to the pieces you are going to join, and continue your piecing until you reach a point that you would again be cutting your thread.
Again, instead of cutting the thread, grab an ender, stitch onto it, and clip the thread at the end of your completed sewing section. The ender remains under your needle, and will thus become the leader when you start sewing again.
Once you have stitched across your leader, make a few stitches and sew onto your piecing an inch or so, then clip off the leader and place it on your finished pile for those blocks on the right side of the machine!!
I hope this makes some sense... I'm not so great at explaining things, but I love using this method and I get twice as much done in the process!. Hugsssssss and smiless!!
My favorite thing to do is make 4 Patch Poseys as leaders and enders. I cut a bunch out, then stack them on the right side of my machine where I have a special place for them.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:16 PM

Strangely, when I drop in a new bobbin, I do not have any bobbin thread showing, just start to sew and thereafter you can make sure you'll have both threads to hold on to. I finally quit worrying about it and just used leaders and enders. I must say I like the Uk use of "pigs" better and it is shorter to say ! Sew happy here ! Sara