Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with all your finished quilts? >

What do you do with all your finished quilts?

What do you do with all your finished quilts?

Old 06-18-2010, 09:23 AM

I usually give them away. I have a few that I am not sure what I want to do with them. I need to make some more quilt for kids, use up some scraps.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:36 PM

I haven't made enough for myself or family to consider giving lots of them away. BUT when I get to that point I will consider different charities.

An online friend is going to Guatemala shortly with 100 quilts for orphaned children who live at or above the 8000ft elevation and they have no heat. Quilts are almost unheard of in Guatemala, so I think the children will be so happy to have these gifts of warmth.

Sometimes I think that the well known charities receive an overabundance (just my opinion) cuz I hear that sometimes they are diverted to people or places that don't really need them, they just 'want' them.

great question. I need to get my family quilts done so that I can spread the joy.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 06-18-2010, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai
Unfortunately most of mine are unquilted tops, and are in a bin just sitting there. One completed one went to Mom, one to my Aunt. I gave a top my grandmother had done that I put borders on and had quilted to my brother, but no one in the family is really interested in or wants my quilts. So, they will just pile up in bins till I'm dead, then go to a garage sale.
GaiGai, if your love of quilts is making the tops but not finishing them, I know there are groups or guilds who would love to have the ones you want to give away.....they'll sandwich them, quilt them and donate to charity. I think that would be better than letting them pile up in bins and not be appreciated as they should be. Think of all the smiles your quilts will bring to lots of kids or adults.

consider it. I"m sure they would even give you 'credit' as the maker on a label.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 06-18-2010, 03:15 PM

I made a trip to the Texas Panhanle when I lived for 29 years, and I gave 17 quilts to friends and relatives. I am slowly building up more quilts than I can use. So, I don't know what I will do with them. I do have some friends that do not have one and they want one.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:33 PM

Every bed in my home has a quilt on it. I have made everyone in my family a quilt and I just keep on making them. I am definitely hooked, hee hee
Old 06-18-2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
I don't have that problem. :cry: Everything I've made has either gone to family, friends, or charities. I'm just getting around to being able to do something for myself. I do have quilts from my Grandmother and my husbands mother that are in storage though. We've been trying to figure out if we want to display these or keep them stored to preserve them.
I vote for displaying them. That way they can be loved. I am sure your Grandmother did not make those quilts to be stored away.
Although I do understand wanting to keep it in good shape.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:10 AM

I still have a lot of them. Many of the ones I make have a new techinique I've used or a favorite fabric, and it takes me a while for me to be willing to part with them. When I make them for an ocassion like a wedding or baby gift, I'm not so inclined to do something so unigue I hate to give it away. But the ones I still have are in the closet. Stupid, I know.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:53 AM

Mine are going mostly to family & chairty. After I finish the next one I'm going to take a break and do one for myself. It''s sad that a person who quilts doesn't have a quilt on the bed. :oops:
Old 06-19-2010, 05:44 AM

Oh, Brenda, you are not alone...it just means after you're gone there will be many more people holding you in their memories. Make ya feel better? It should:-)
Old 06-19-2010, 06:54 AM

I have 8 or 9 bedsize quilts, several dozen smaller quilts, throws etc. and then there are the wallhangings and smaller projects. I have made and given away probably two or three hundred quilts of various sizes to Linus, family members, as gifts or raffles for various projects etc. I have been at this since 1967. By the end of this weekend I will have finished 4 Linus quilts.