Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with all your finished quilts? >

What do you do with all your finished quilts?

What do you do with all your finished quilts?

Old 06-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Banned

I don't even own a quilt yet, and the way its looking, I wont for a little long while, maybe after Christmas :( But I have that diamond quilt pattern, a quilt angel sent me, and I want to do it in deep jewl colors, with the light being in the gold family. God bless. Penny
Old 06-22-2010, 05:32 AM

I haven't reached that point yet as I'm still in the getting started stages. I'm working my way through the Quilter's Academy by Harriet & Carrie Hargrave and am trying to designate who will get each project as it is completed so that I don't overload people with quilts. I'd love to be involved in Project Linus or some of the NICU quilt projects later on.

Cheers, K
Old 06-24-2010, 08:49 PM

We have 2 children with 7 grandchildren between them. I welcomed our son in law and daughter in law into the family with a hand quilted throw. Each of our my children have what I call their college quilt which they used on their beds in college and then each has 4 or 5 queen sized quilts (all hand quilted and took 2- 4 years each to complete.) Each grandchild came home from the hospital wrapped in a Grammy's hand quilted baby quilt and I've just completed the last twin quilt for each of our 7 grandchildren. My goal was to completed a twin for each for high school graduation and to use when they go to college and then ran into some serious illness issues where I doubted I'd ever get them completed so went to work and just completed the last one and thus far am also strong and healthy. Now the question is what to make next but my quilts all will eventually be divided up between our 2 children and their children. Now that the twin quilts are completed I just plain plan to enjoy quilting and try new things with it but as a hand quilter who prefers to do bed sized quilts - they take time. Since joining my quilt guild though, I've been doing quite a few throw sized quilts which are very nice and many of you have seen photos of them on this board. Finding homes for my quilts has never been a challenge. Getting to keep one for us has been the challenge. I do have 3 queen sized quilts that only come out for show or when company comes - they have to be passed on to the kids you know. I do definitely want to be sure to have another queen for each of my children but that's in the future, God willing. My next big queen is for my husband and I'll be beginnign it in January 2011. We're doing the Underground Rail Road for our block of the month and I've decided to use patriotic fabrics for it as he loved the patriotic quilts that I made for our children years ago. I have so many quilt ideas and goals in my head and doubt there will be time to complete all of them but I'm never bored.

Many ladies in my chapters (machine quilters) are so prolific that their families say they have enough quilts so they focus on donating to charities and they do such lovely work. I wish I could be as prolific as they are but my passion truly is hand quilting. I applaud the ladies who have the time and ability to turn out so many lovely quilts so quickly! You are doing so much good for those who receive them.

The important thing is to keep quilting and to enjoy doing it.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:32 AM

It pains me to give up a quilt! But as many as I make, they all end up going to family or charities. So I mount them on my walls, enjoy them for a few weeks or months, remove the cat hair, and then rotate them out to the recipients. There is ALWAYS another new one to put up!
P.S. I actually only 'own' 2 of my quilts...
Old 06-26-2010, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Baloonatic
It pains me to give up a quilt! But as many as I make, they all end up going to family or charities. So I mount them on my walls, enjoy them for a few weeks or months, remove the cat hair, and then rotate them out to the recipients. There is ALWAYS another new one to put up!
P.S. I actually only 'own' 2 of my quilts...
Many of us are guilty of this. Even the 3 that I did move with us are being protected to be inherited one day. Dumb but fact. We used and wore out the first queen sized one I made and ever since, I've had trouble using my own quilts as I want to give them to my kids and grandchildren.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Caer Urfa
I have quite enough quilts for my own use but can never resist making just one more. My family have as many as they want. I do make quilts for the Linus Project as well and I get real satisfaction out of that. How many do you have and what do you do with them? I'm talking about finished quilts!
I can't resist making one more, and then another, and another-- and I've been quilting for 40 years.

We have 3 nice quilts for each of the 2 beds, ours and the guest room.

I have a twin quilt folded over the back of the sofa 9 months a year for cuddling in the evening. I think I have 3 for there depending on the season.

I have at least 3 for the back of my cozy chair too, a bit smaller maybe 50 x 70". I change them with the seasons too. And a quilt over the back of the rocker just for pretty.

I have a wall quilt in my workroom that I use as a memo board. I pin my work orders and my project plan to it.

And I have maybe 10 different quilted table runners. They really brighten up our dark oak dining room table.

I've made quilts for all my friends and for my family. Now most of my quilts go to charities: Camp Erin, Project Linus or Quilts of Valor. I'm quilt coordinator for the Camp Erin in the Philadelphia area-- a bereavement camp for children who have lost a loved one, a place for them to go and be with other grieving children, and learn to heal. They need 100 quilts for 100 kids every year and we know how much comfort the kids get from their quilts. There are Camp Erin camps in 20 states.

http://www.moyerfoundation.org/programs/camperin.aspx