Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with the 'beards' that come out at stitch points >

What do you do with the 'beards' that come out at stitch points

What do you do with the 'beards' that come out at stitch points

Old 01-05-2010, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Marjpf
Found out this weekend that Joann's Fabrics is going to discontinue the warm and natural (boo) and start carrying the cotton bamboo blend. Now that I've seen this, that doesn't sound good for us!
Well, all of us who use only W&N can always buy it on their website, or at another local fabric store. I don't know what they are thinking!!! Almost all the quilters I know only use cotton (a few only use silk!!). Thanks for the info, but I'm not happy to hear it. I won't have to buy any for a while, though, because my DH and I bought a 40 yd bolt of W&N last time Joanne's had it on sale at 50% off.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:59 PM

Can we all "borrow" your DH next time there is a sale?
Old 01-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

From talking to the one lady at the LQS that told me about the issues with the bamboo and others here on the board, the blend doesn't have the same issues as the bamboo alone,

I imagine after it is around a little longer that it will be less for the bamboo as it is renewed a lot faster than the cotton, one reason that people use the cotton is that it is an all natural fiber, I am interested in seeing where it is heading.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Power Poster

I think I'll keep bamboo in my backyard where it looks great.
:-D

Your needle size may be too big. This happens to me when I use a large size needle.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:49 PM

I haven't bought batting in quite awhile, as I have lots still to use, so I am wondering how the bamboo/cotton does with shrinkage compared to the W&N and how it compares in cost.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:26 PM

I just got Bonnie Hunter's book Scraps & Shirtails from the library today. Her site is Quiltville. She has a couple of pages in the front of the book on batting. She gives a positive recommendation for Nature-Fil by Fairfield that is 50% bamboo and 50% organic cotton. Here's what she says,"...breathable, very soft drape, can be quilted up to 8-inch intervals, is ideal for machine quilting, and is naturally antibacterial." I didn't know Joann's was going to do that, and I don't know what kind they will carry, but it could be a good thing.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:34 PM

They are called pokies and are a combo of fabric, batting and thread, the only way to get rid of them is to wash your quilt..... It is not just the batting, so don't discount this type of batting...
Old 01-05-2010, 10:39 PM

Thanks Joan for that info, it sounds then like it might work out then for if Bonnie Hunter uses it are a brand similar it couldn't be all that bad then, I'd be willing to try it based on her saying that.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:20 PM
Power Poster

Anything Bonnie Hunter says is good for a quilt is good for a quilt. I'll certainly try that brand.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:17 PM

I did not mean to slam bamboo filling when I asked about the beards on my quilt. It is just that I am a new quilter
and couldn't figure out what I did wrong. I am going to take advice and wash my quilt and I probably will use the same filler again.Kascie