Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with empty thread spools? >

What do you do with empty thread spools?

What do you do with empty thread spools?

Old 07-20-2009, 08:40 AM

This is a response to what to do with pill bottles.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:41 AM

some mission groups collect pill bottles to send overseas. When the clinics receive meds, they are packaged wholesale so when it is time to dispense the meds, the pill bottles are great.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:53 AM

Depending on what size your med bottles are they make really nice bobbin holders for taking to classes. Also, some of them are of a size to keep your crochet hooks in one place. Good button holders also.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:04 AM

I throw mine in the scrap bin....I have found that the cats like them to knock around :D
Old 07-20-2009, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante
some mission groups collect pill bottles to send overseas. When the clinics receive meds, they are packaged wholesale so when it is time to dispense the meds, the pill bottles are great.
I am familiar with White Cross. If you have an outlet address so I can send my med bottles on, by all means! PM me (do this by clicking on my name and scroll down, you will see a place to click on PM - - means private message) ... I would appreciate sending on my bottles.
Also, how about the bottles that my vitamins and baby aspirin come in?
Old 07-20-2009, 01:09 PM

This is the spool lamp that i made after seeing one in an antique store for a lot of money. I got a 2 qt. canning jar that was my grandmothers from my aunt. Then i got my wooden spools that came from my great-aunts house when i cleaned it out after she passed away. Some of the spools still had thread on them which was neat. I wrapped the lamp shade with strips of fabric that i ripped and glued them on the shade. i wrapped the rest of the spools with leftover strips. bought a lamp kit from Lowes and had DH modify it to fit and i have a neat lamp with lots of memories and very little money. It sits on my treadle sewing machine that belonged to my great-aunt( same one i got the spools from-she didnt throw anything away)

Spool lamp
[ATTACH=CONFIG]39894[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-39894.jpe  
Old 07-20-2009, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by sewmom
This is the spool lamp that i made after seeing one in an antique store for a lot of money. I got a 2 qt. canning jar that was my grandmothers from my aunt. Then i got my wooden spools that came from my great-aunts house when i cleaned it out after she passed away. Some of the spools still had thread on them which was neat. I wrapped the lamp shade with strips of fabric that i ripped and glued them on the shade. i wrapped the rest of the spools with leftover strips. bought a lamp kit from Lowes and had DH modify it to fit and i have a neat lamp with lots of memories and very little money. It sits on my treadle sewing machine that belonged to my great-aunt( same one i got the spools from-she didnt throw anything away)
That is way too cool! See why I never throw anything away??? LOL
I am sure there is an inheritance in my drawers for my offspring ... they will just have to be as clever as you were, and as capable as your husband is .... Thank you so much for sharing!
Old 07-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Banned

Sewmom, that is a great lamp!
Old 07-20-2009, 05:56 PM

Sewmom, I love the lamp. How perfect that would be for a quilting area!

I was going to say that they won't recycle the spools unless they have the little recycling logo. I can't see any on my spools, unless they're underneath the thread. Somehow I doubt it.

They might make good body cores for little dolls, and then you could use your small fabric scraps for the clothes.

If you have several of them, you could post on craigslist that you're freecycling them. And then, lol, someone will post on here that they found this great collection of empty spools and they know just how to use them.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:12 PM

I like the lamp.