Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do to get motivated? >

What do you do to get motivated?

What do you do to get motivated?

Old 05-19-2015, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by DresiArnaz View Post
I haven't been sewing much the last few weeks. I had many other obligations to fulfill. Got kind of sick and down in the back for a while and still have other things nagging me so I don't even feel like doing a little bit here and there even though I'm feeling better now

Maybe I need to make a shirt or a zipper pouch or something

I'm still kind of meh...
Hats off to the quilter who ordered that bigger boat. I see a new Dr. next Tues. Looks like food sensitivity, not a real allergy, but a milder form of intolerance. That plus hormones.

I feel as if someone is sitting on my face. So much to do, bolts upstairs are calling me, garden, I need a new van to replace the one that has 251,000 miles.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:09 AM

Take a nap.

Really though! Mine has been of and on for a while now. I go to serger class usually once a month and that helps but emb and quilting not in a while. I have a purse that I could probably finish in an hour or two but have been procrastinating. This past weekend I went to an Anita Goodesign retreat and that helped a lot. Their designs have lots of tutorials and projects so it inspires me to get started. So hopefully on my days off this week I'll get something done for me instead of everyone else.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:49 AM

Some days it is just plain HARD! But you are right. Read this forum! And I read all my quilt related email, look at lots of pictures. Go visit ant quilt shop. Just wandering through the beautiful Fabris and notions makes me happy. Quilt shows are super inspirational! Love to see fellow quilters and all the energy!!! It's a Quilting HIGH!
Old 05-19-2015, 05:50 AM

I belong to my LQS club called Quiltsitters. We meet once a month and just seeing the Show and Tell Quilts that everyone brings gets me up and going again. I also get my magazines out and get inspired and I fondle my fabric! LOL That usually gets me up and going. Susan
Old 05-19-2015, 09:51 AM

I try to think of ebb and tide; each of us has our own drummer. Sometimes we compare ourselves to the over achievers and the ought toos and should dos and that can really get us down. The overwhelms hit and boom...a standstill happens. Life throws in a bunch of curves and detours and we think why don't I want to do what I usually want to do? I just try to think that the tide is out and the drummer has taken a break and maybe I should too. And most importantly, not feel guilty about it. I also find that it's very important to take a deep breath and breathe deeply.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:27 PM

I find if I just go into the sewing room and tidy up a bit, sort out leavings of my last project I am more inclined to begin again soon. If it is a project I have on my next to do list if I only get the pattern out briefly look it over an walk away soon I will be wanting to start it. Everyone is different
Old 05-19-2015, 04:49 PM

I have not been in my quilt studio for a good six months! On Nov. 2, momma had a heart attack. Dad had dementia, so I rush NY to Florida the next day to care for daddy while mom recuperated. A week later, daddy took ill and three weeks later, he was gone! I stayed on to help momma get sorted out, brought her home to NY for the Christmas holiday. We did not celebrate. By Jan. 21, I finally left mom back in her home in Florida with nursing care to look after her. Much has transpired since then. Momma has since moved to an A.S.L. and is doing much better and I can sleep nights. Now maybe I can get my head back into this hobby I love so much!
Old 05-19-2015, 05:48 PM

I am sure there are others in the same state of stagnant. I am there......as I have Mono......and have absolutely no desire to sew. Me...who was sewing for at least an hour every night. Right now I would LIKE to sew, but just can't seem to get motivated. I am sure that it is more than a physical barrier, I sure would like some inspiration to get me back at the needle. Before when I was in limbo, just looking at my patterns and looking at my fabric was enough. Tough sell right now!
Old 05-19-2015, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

sometimes I go to etsy, or pintrest to see what the rest of the world is doing.
just finished my 3/4' hexes and started a new 1" one, moving right along with my hand sewing.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:47 PM

Going through my quilting magazines, etc. to weed out what I don't want anymore - this usually triggers something that I'd like to play around with. Maybe just browse thru your stuff and it might inspire you. Good luck.