Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Do You Do With Left Over Binding? >

What Do You Do With Left Over Binding?

What Do You Do With Left Over Binding?

Old 04-24-2015, 04:51 AM

I use 2 1/4 bindings and I always make mine on the bias. I keep the scraps in a plastic box. I use them on small items when I can or I join them with diagonal seams for scrappy things. I never throw them out unless they are too tiny. I like leaders and enders to conserve thread when I sew.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:52 AM

I sew my left over bindings together until I have enough to bind my scrappy quilts...so it is truly a scrappy quilt...
Old 04-24-2015, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

I don't know if this has been posted before, but I just saw this cute quilt on Pinterest. It's a good one to use up leftover binding.

http://www.cluckclucksew.com/2012/07...aby-quilt.html
Old 04-25-2015, 03:06 AM
Power Poster

I save it. Bits and pieces of this and that sometimes work out great on a scrappy. Plus, always good for smaller pieces and since I cut my binding strips at 2 1/2 inches the uses improve
Old 04-25-2015, 12:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Girlfriend View Post
What do you do with left over binding material? Mine is mounting up. I use 2 1/4", so I can't throw it in the left over jelly roll bin. I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

I have been known to join several colors and bind table runners with the color combo..Gives it some interest.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:48 PM

My mom would just roll up her leftover bindings one after another. When she passed, she had a large roll. I used part of it when I made a scrappy quilt out of her scraps and will do it again when I make the next one. It ended up being a treasure to me.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:18 PM

I am just curious. Why do people cut their binding on the bias? Does it look or lie better going around corners, or is there another reason?
Old 04-26-2015, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by mom2boyz View Post
I am just curious. Why do people cut their binding on the bias? Does it look or lie better going around corners, or is there another reason?
I think the standard answer is that it will wear better. Here's a web page that discusses all the trade-offs: http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...t-binding.html

There are a lot of varying opinions on this. We had a quilt judge that spoke at our guild meeting who said she never used bias, that most people can't get it "right", and it didn't matter. On the other hand, I've always done bias, and have always gotten good comments on my bindings when entered in shows. I like the fact that you can stretch it a little as you sew it down, so it pulls in the edge of the quilt just a hair. If you want to do any curved corners -- like around the bottom two corners of a bed quilt -- the stretch you get from the bias makes that easy to do. ANd if you have lots of curves -- like a scalloped edge -- you pretty much have to use bias binding.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:25 AM

So many great ideas....thank you, everyone.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:42 PM

An additional note on bias bindings...they are also smoother on inside curves and angles, not just on the outside ones. The miters on inside angles lay flatter when done with bias binding.