Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with outdated fabric? >

What do you do with outdated fabric?

What do you do with outdated fabric?

Old 05-29-2011, 02:53 AM

I'm not sure it would be called vintage and I don't have enough of it to make a completely vintage quilt, but a mix would definitely be interesting!

(edit) MissJ - and I thought I was the only one who talked to my fabric! Sometimes I'm sad about throwing away the tiniest strips. What's wrong with me? :)

I don't belong to a guild. I attended a meeting of a local guild but they were rather snobby and gossipy but extremely talented and I didn't feel like I fit in. (all that from one meeting!) I was thinking I might like to start a quilting / needlework group, to put together baby quilts or lap quilts for donations, but am not sure how to go about it or where to have it.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:55 AM

We are talking "quilts"here. Surely nothing is dated about quilting, it's all in the eye of the beholder.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:17 AM

I don't know how old your fabric is, but I have been using my old cotton fabric from the late 70's and 80's in scrap quilts. One of my friends was looking at one of them and commented at some of the fabric. She said they are now calling that "vintage" fabric. You just need to get a new perspective on that. It isn't old.....it is vintage! If nothing else you could cut them up in strips WOF and sew them back together and use as a backing. I have been trying to use up my fabric that way. I just turned over a quilt on our bed last night. It has 4-10" strips across the width of it and my husband told me he really like the quilt I put on the bed! He had never even made a comment about the other side of the quilt.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:30 AM

Check out Bonnie Hunter at www.quiltville.com. See what she has to say about old, ugly, etc., fabric. A friend just gave me a hunk of batting left over from her church rummage sale. They were going to toss it. Inside were squares and triangles pinned individually to the batting. It is a pinwheel pattern, using 80's not-the-best fabric. Well, I had some 80's fabric to put with it, and it is now my "Primitive Pinwheels," (the original cutting was not so good and I didn't take time to re-do it), AKA Rummage Sale Reject. So, you just never know when you will have a use for your older, never outdated, fabric.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:34 AM

make donation quilts......
Old 05-29-2011, 03:36 AM

Oh No! Don't tell my husband fabric has an expiration date....whenever he sees that I have bought new fabric he says "what about all the fabric you already have?" I tell him it needs to age before it can be used....LOL!!!
Old 05-29-2011, 03:38 AM

fabric old never reuse reduce or just give it to someone who will use it
Old 05-29-2011, 03:39 AM

Love your quilts. What pattern did you use to make the baby quilt in the last photo that is in light colors. It is the quilt that is on the left side.

I think that fabric from pass years will blend in very well with the fabrics of today.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by MissJMac
P.S. don't let your fabric hear you refer to them as outdated, ugly, faded, tired, etc. they don't like it - fabrics have feelings too.
I love this Board!! Now I know what is wrong with some of my fabrics - they are sulking!! That must be why some of my seams go crooked and my points don't match!!
Old 05-29-2011, 03:59 AM

mug rugs, place mats, pot holders,bibs, cat toys, Christmas ornaments, so much more. even if they are out dated, I didn't know material could be outdated!