Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with outdated fabric? >

What do you do with outdated fabric?

What do you do with outdated fabric?

Old 05-29-2011, 04:32 AM

I bought a whole car trunkload of 70s calicos mostly full bolts for $75. We use it in our senior center for the backs of baby quilts. I actually liked some of it for Bonnie Hunter scrappy patterns.

There is someone out there for almost anything. It does have to be stored properly since some of the blacks did disintegrate. And I would never buy stained or musty fabric. That I would throw out.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:34 AM

fabric doesn't go out of style - trends keep changing! I save my stuff.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:36 AM

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN SELLING THE MATERIAL THAT YOU DON'T LIKE I'D BE INTERESTED IN SOME OF IT BECAUSE I MAKE SQUARE YO-YO QUILTS & REGULAR YO-YO QJUILTSTOO. CAN USE ALL THE DIFFERENT MATERIALS THAT I CAN FIND!!
I USE THE KINDS THAT AREN'T BRIGHT COLORS TOO.
AM ALSO WORKING ON A CAT QUILT THAT I'M MAKING SCRAPPY TOO.
IF INTERESTED "PM" ME ON THE QUILT BOARD!!! WE WILL BE ABLE TO WORK OUT SOME KIND OF PAYMENT OR TRADE
NORASH
Old 05-29-2011, 04:57 AM

You could also strip it and crochet yourself a rug. At todays fabric prices all my dated fabric looks great, but I've got a pile of fabric I've picked up at G/sales that will soon be a rug. Kinda curiuos what you do end up doing with it.
Mikki
Old 05-29-2011, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Barb44
What's outdated fabric? There is pretty fabric and ugly fabric, but outdated? No. I see fabric for sale here all the time that I bought 20 years ago for 2.99 selling for 6.00. I don't consider any fabric outdated. But that's me. I like old things better than new.

If you don't want it, send it to me, it will fit right in with the rest. LOL
My thoughts exactly! I think the older fabric is coolor cuz it has history and sometimes it's even made with better quality. I would also love it if you don't want it as I am trying to build a stash :)
Old 05-29-2011, 05:15 AM

Well, if you like the thinner fabrics of today, get rid of them by doing what others here have posted. BUT, I have some old fabrics and i wouldn't part with them as the quality was sooooo much better then. Cotton actually had a backbone, todays cotton you need to add startch to get the feel, otherwise it's to wishy-washy (weak, overly soft). And todays cottons you can see through them- even those with "quality".

I try and put some of the old fabrics into whatever I'm making and it's a nice memory for me also.

Nope, give me the older fabrics any day.

fabric_ lover
Old 05-29-2011, 05:31 AM

Goodness, I have fabrics that date back to the 20's. For that type fabric I do traditional patterns that were popular during that era. For other fabric, I overdye it a lot. Its a way to make old fabric new again. I use powder dye from Dharma Trading Co. They have excellent information on how to use the products.
Also use up some of my "what in the world was I thinking" fabrics for backings. Good conversation starters when I show them at guild. grin
Old 05-29-2011, 05:36 AM

Give it to me, lol. I love old things.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:49 AM

Use it in string quilts or scrappy quilts mixed in with "newer" fabric colors. Make charity quilts. Use it in a civil war pattern and pretend you paid a fortune for the fabric at a LQS. Donate it. Send it to me - LOL - my stash is small and I will surely use it. Use it for backing. Make mug rugs by the dozens and gift everyone you know...
Old 05-29-2011, 05:49 AM

Donate it to the Boys and Girls Club, your local 4H or check with your local schools.