Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What do you do with outlived quilts? >
  • What do you do with outlived quilts?

• What do you do with outlived quilts?

Old 03-28-2010, 08:56 AM

My DD is 42 and at this time childless, but she is saving the quilts I made her when she was a baby to use with her, prayerfully, baby.
    Old 03-28-2010, 09:00 AM

You can't let her get rid of it...what a treasure that will be for future generations!
    My youngest son has his father's baby blanket...along with his own...his babies don't use them, but someday will be able to hold it and say that their grandfather was wrapped in that blanket as an infant...
    Old 03-28-2010, 09:03 AM

My mother in law saved my Hubby's first baby blanket (crochet, not quilt) and a few of his first clothes. When we had our first baby (a little girl) she inherited his baby blanket. It is wonderful every time I wrap her in it to know that my husband felt the warmth and love when he was an infant too. You will never regret saving it!!
    Old 03-28-2010, 09:24 AM

I agree-I'd try to store it. If it's too damaged, can you take blocks or sections and make smaller items? I've seen small sections framed and hung on the wall. I've also seen teddy bears made from old quilts but I'm not that clever. Or maybe a doll quilt from undamaged sections.
    Old 03-28-2010, 09:55 AM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

In my opinion never do away with those baby blankets. They are the most special thing a person can ever have. I have mine, my brothers and all my kids.
    Old 03-28-2010, 09:56 AM

The neatest thing I ever saw was a room divider, screen thingie. Instead of louvers or pictures as you see now days, it had a sheet that had been embroideried Disney Characters all over it and hand crocheted edging. My Daughter could not part with this well worn relic, so she had it framed with plexi-glass front. Her husband made the folding screen around it. So, neat, she can fold it away when she needs the room and still have it displayed and stored at the same time.

Blessings, Ruth
    Old 03-28-2010, 10:27 AM

Please don't get rid of the quilts. My 32 year old son's "night night" now belongs to his six month old son. The original binding is gone, but many, many washings have made it even more soft and cuddly than when my son drug it around. As he grew older, he wore out the binding by using the quilt as a Superman cape!
    When they put the new grandson to bed, he grabs the "night night", rubs it against his little face and instantly goes to sleep.
    Old 03-28-2010, 10:43 AM

When my daughter was born 29 years ago, my mother bought her a thermal blanket. She used to very well! When my granddaughter was born 3 years ago, it is now her favorite blankie! And very well used I might add. So definetly, save it.
    Old 03-28-2010, 10:54 AM

This is a square I had framed of my Grandmother's quilt. The quilt was made many years before I was born. It was in terrible condition, parts were nearly shredded. Luckily, her square was in good enough condition to work with. I love being able to see it on the wall and think of her daily.

Grandma's Signature Square
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]34198[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-34198.jpe  
    Old 03-28-2010, 11:27 AM
    Power Poster

I would try to think of a way to store it...too often we let things go and then years later wished that we wouldn't have...
    I saved a few blankets of my brothers and one of their stuffed bears.. they did not want them at the time, 20+ years later when I gave them back, they were surprised, very happily too I might add :D:D:D
    The blankets and outfits I saved from my kids I gave back to them when they started families...they loved getting them, too!!! :D:D:D

FREE Quilting Newsletter