Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What do you do with outlived quilts? >
  • What do you do with outlived quilts?

• What do you do with outlived quilts?

Old 03-29-2010, 09:22 AM

You may want to make it a treasure collection in a shadow box frame with other collectables of the childs birth date, weight, shoes, and perhaps a toy wwith a baby pic of the child wearing or holding these things.
    Or make a pillow with an inscription that tells a story of the quilt.
    Old 03-29-2010, 09:44 AM

Personally I keep all well-loved quilts. I have the one that was on my grandma and grandpa's bed every day of the year. Some of the blocks are so worn that there's just a tiny "border" of the original block left. I wouldn't give it up for anything. You or your daughter should keep it for your granddaughter for when she'd older. When she's expecting her first child, wrap it up along with a new quilt and give it to her. There's always something else that can be downsized other than a small quilt. She'd be trading a treasure for a tiny amount of space.

Ah ha, it worked. I finally figured out how to put up an avatar and this is the first time it came up. YEA!!!!
    Old 03-29-2010, 10:47 AM

I too would pack it away.
    Old 03-29-2010, 11:09 AM

My mom saved the flannel quilt my brother used as a baby and just gave it to his new daughter. It is worn and sooooo soft. My great-grandma embroidered squares of fairy tale animals for it and they are in surprisingly good shape. She has been gone over ten years now, but her great-great granddaughter is able to use something that she created with love- that is a priceless treasure!

Mom saved our outfit we wore coming home from the hospital, too, but I had boys so they couldn't wear my going home dress. Maybe someday my future granddaughter will wear it!
    Old 03-29-2010, 12:20 PM

I made Cabbage Patch Dolls for my childern with their "coming home from the hospital clothes". That was over 25 years ago when Cabbage Patch Dolls were so popular. I gave DS to him when he had Olivia.
    Old 03-29-2010, 12:27 PM

My mother saved two baby quilts that were made for me, umpteen years ago. Those are now most precious possessions, as the makers, my grandmother and aunt are both deceased. I have little else to remind me of the love and care they lavished on me when they were living.

Please don't get rid of the quilt. You never know how much it will mean, down the road, to still have the quilt.
    Old 03-29-2010, 12:30 PM

I'd also frame it. If not the whole quilt, then a portion that looks good and preserves the quilt design and theme. Shadow box frames work well for this. Also, perhaps the maker of the quilt can be consulted. She/he may enjoy the preservation process!
    Old 03-29-2010, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kathy N
    Do you think your daughter may want it back some day if she has children of her own? I would clean it and pack it away in acid free tissue and when she has her own child pull it back out. You may even ask the maker to "fix it up" first, then pack it away.
    I should have been clearer. It is my daughter who has the outgrown quilt and she will definitely not be having any more children and grandchildren for her are (hopefully) years away. She is clearing out to move into a new home with in a new life for her and the kids.

There have been some great suggestions here. Things I would never have thought of.
    As the quilts I have given my grandchildren become well used and worn, I plan to implement some of these! My kids never had quilts as children for me to save :-(
    Old 03-30-2010, 12:54 AM

PLEASE!! save the "little" things from your children

my mother died when I was 12, and my sister ended up burning all of my childhood things (long story)

now I hold all of my children's things, and even have precious things from my husband's child hood too

...our son took daddy's teddy to his kinder picnic!!
    Old 03-30-2010, 02:49 AM

i saw a babys receiving blankets turned into a vest once for her daughter..use those space saver bags to store items like that.

FREE Quilting Newsletter