Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do? >

What do you do?

What do you do?

Old 10-29-2010, 03:41 AM

Make a list and physically check it off. That way you know you are accomplishing something.
I am in your boat right now. Sewing Halloween costumes, putting two quilts on quilt frame and patching another quilt. Help!
Old 10-29-2010, 07:40 AM

Perhaps my circumstances are different, but I do know that a good many of you are in the same situations. Because I have physical limitations, and quilting is my fun and escape and stress relief, I refuse to let it become stress laden by adding deadlines and due dates to any of my projects. There might be a special occasion that the quilt is for, but everyone knows that they will get it when it's done, and not one minute before, regardless of when the party, celebration or special event occurs. I don't earmark a quilt for Christmas or birthday. I only earmark it for this person or that. When it's done, they get it.
My friends and family are very understanding about this... not that they have much choice.. lol. It's the way I have to be to accomodate my life, so it's the way I am. Stress is bad for me; I won't add any that I can avoid.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:53 AM

When you are feeling overwhelmed, you need to think of "Baby Steps". Just as a baby takes 1 step at a time, you need to take 1 step at a time. Just focus on one thing, and pretend the rest doesn't exist. Give yourself a block of time, say 30 minutes, and then stop, go do something else. It may take a little longer to accomplish all of your tasks this way, but it will definitely cut down on the frustration you are feeling.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:58 AM
mac

Unfortunately I, too, know this feeling all to well. I pressure myself and berate myself for not starting. But, then I realize that if it wasn't for the 'last minute' I wouldn't get anything done.

One of the reasons that I do this (and I can hardly believe it myself) is that I am a perfectionist and I am afraid I will fail my tasks. This is not me talking, but my therapist explaining to me why I only begin projects at the last minute. She says that when I do things at the last minute, I can push past perfectionism and concentrate on getting it done because I have to.

I never thought of myself of a perfectionist because I have the attitude "if you can't see it from an airplane..." then your mistakes don't exist. On the other hand, when I have the time to do something I try to do it right which means I do a lot of reverse quilting (or whatever task I am doing). With that explantion, I can see that I am a perfectionist. Additionally, if I do something at the last minute and it doesn't turn out right, I always have the excuse that, 'well, I just threw it together at the last minute. If I had more time I could have done it better.'

Oh, my gosh, I just proved my therapist right.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:06 AM

I know the feeling and been there, done that, too. I start with a small project and when it's done, it has motivated me to work on another project.

With Christmas and everything, I really know the pressure is mounting. I, too, have a LOT of projects that must be completed. Two baby quilts is my next priority MUST BE DONE ASAP and then I can go back to my Christmas projects. Sew many projects, sew little time!!!

Hugs!!!
Old 10-29-2010, 09:16 AM

I didn't read the responses to your post yet, so am probably doing a repeat here. Your situation reminds me of the days when I worked in an office. Although I was the business owner's secretary, I also typed for about a dozen account executives. (Some of them wanted really weird time-consuming/useless things typed up; those always went to the bottom of my pile.) Anyway, sometimes the pile got so high that I felt overwhelmed and could not function for a while. What I suggest to you is that you take a deep breath, separate your projects, and prioritize them, by whatever method suits you. Obviously that will not make them go away or make less projects, but you might find that it will help the panic go away. If the panic goes, you will feel 100% better and can get started on whichever project you've put on the top of the pile.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:24 PM

Oh Boy, can I relate.
I have 2 nightgowns, 2 sleep pants and 4 quilts to finish. ( two of these are with GD's - ages 10 and 18) Also 10 checkbook covers.
To add to my stress. our power has been out for 3 days. It is extremely frustrating to look at a dark room and not be able to sew, not to mention COLD. I was able to do some cutting while the sun was out. he power just came on and i had to check this before I went to sew.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:11 PM

Walk away from it, have a Triple Chocolate, valium, vodka Latte to go. That will give you the incentive to dig in
Old 10-29-2010, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
try numbering all the projects you have, put numbers on pieces of paper in a jar and if you really can't decide what to do, pull out a number and just do that one until it's finished...
This too was my thoughts! That way you can finish them without thoughts of whose is getting finished first.

Good Luck
Old 10-29-2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN
Walk away from it, have a Triple Chocolate, valium, vodka Latte to go. That will give you the incentive to dig in

Atta girl!