Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do? >

What do you do?

What do you do?

Old 10-27-2010, 03:36 AM

Okay i need to know if this happens to you too.....I have bought way too much fabric lately without any reason and have tooo many projects looking at me. I need to finish three baby quilts, make my Christmas gifts (5) and my granddaughters want new PJ's. Twice now i have looked at my sewing table and just walked away thinking "i can't get this all done" It's like there is a wall up and i don't know what to work on first. I have started all the projects but am at a standstill. How do you all overcome this???? I am wasting time!
Old 10-27-2010, 03:43 AM

I look forward to the responses to this. It is a "quilting skill" I continuously strive to master.

I've put all projects (fabric, pattern, & recipient's name) into project envelopes and labeled them; then, on my dry-erase board, I have a list of the projects in the order I want to do them.

That does help. But not entirely. I can start feeling a real Pressure and I lose my sense of priority.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:43 AM

I know exactly how you feel! Overwhelmed! I try to make myself set a little goal and focus on just accomplishing that, instead of looking at the huge amount of stuff I have to get finished. When I do that I actually begin to get something done instead of sighing, lowering my head, and walking nervously away thinking, "How am I going to get this all done?"
Old 10-27-2010, 03:51 AM

try numbering all the projects you have, put numbers on pieces of paper in a jar and if you really can't decide what to do, pull out a number and just do that one until it's finished...
Old 10-27-2010, 03:52 AM
Power Poster

boy, i really go through this too often! i have found when i just can not seem to make my self get busy when my project list is seeming overwhelming and i am running out of time i pick up something that is fast...like a set of coasters or a tote bag...and i go make it...start to finish...seems once i actually accomplish something in record time it frees my mind to move forward and i can keep going. i have found there are times when i go 2 weeks without accomplishment if i just go accomplish something i can get back on track...that and hubby says i work well under pressure...when deadlines are looming i really jump in and get it done...it is very stressful sometimes.
i prioritise my projects not only by date but also by time needed...if i have a couple big projects to get done i have found i do better with them if i get a couple easy/quick projects done. once a quilt starts 'coming together' it usually goes fast, takes awhile to get there though, so i will if tired of working on blocks or something i do not feel guilty if i set it aside for today...and make 3 smaller things, then i can go back and work on the biggy again for awhile.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:55 AM

I put a list on my wall and just go down the list. I did have to make myself stop and quilt though, I had 3 tops done but they needed to be quilted. I told myself no more tops until the quilting is done. Am currently on my second quilting, only one more to go!! and then more tops.
little by little.....
Old 10-27-2010, 03:58 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Know the feeling dear. I suggest trying to start with the smallest,easiest project first., I find that that can get the motivation going. Remember you don't have to get them all done at once, while putting one together you can be cutting for the next one.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:59 AM
Power Poster

Maybe start with the smallest, quickest project, and go from there? Maybe whenyou finish one, you will be inspired to move on to the next one!
Old 10-27-2010, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Maybe start with the smallest, quickest project, and go from there? Maybe whenyou finish one, you will be inspired to move on to the next one!
I agree with CarrieAnne.

This is the reason that I finish my main project before I start another "big" project, I'm afraid I'd feel overwhelmed otherwise.

Good luck!
Old 10-27-2010, 04:37 AM

Oh yes, I have been there too! I agree, start one project and finish it. It makes you inspired to keep going. Good luck!