Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do? >

What do you do?

What do you do?

Old 10-27-2010, 06:28 AM

that's exactly why I don't allow myself to have more than 2 projects going at one time, it motivates me to finish so I can start a new one. "you're not allowed dessert untill you finish youe veggies!" sound like you just nibble around at the dessert table and now you're not hungry. disipline yourself my dear, you'll be so pleased with yourself.

do I sound like a grandma or what :shock:
Old 10-27-2010, 06:39 AM

There are some really good suggestions here, wow!

But this is how I do it when I feel this way.

1. Get a cup of tea and note book
2. Write down the names of projects you want to get done.
3. Decide which two you need the most...or want the most to be complete.
4. Plan on a time that is good for you to sew. Say, Tuesday and Thursday mornings.
5. Make a list of quilting or non-quilting friends.
6. Call friends and explain you are over committed. (They love to hear that, (they knew it anyway)...But it will make them feel good that you actually need them. Ask your friends if they can come help you work on a project for two hours. (Sometimes that runs over). Commit to them that you will help them at another time, and do so.
7. Have a snack and a small thank you gift for your friends when they do help you.
8. Call your friends that helped you, (as you are working on hand sewing) to personally thank them again. And I do my binding when I am talking on the phone.
9. If you don't have a lot of friends to help...use this as a time to teach someone to quilt while they are helping you, or to minister to an elderly person that is lonely.
I think you also would be surprised at how much you can get done if you just commit to sewing 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes before you go to bed.
Inch by inch, lifes a cinch....Good luck, and let us know how it is going in a week or so/sew!
Call and ask for help.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

Put everything in kits that you want to or in your case need to make. Prioritize and then pick the kit you want to work on. I need to have several projects going on at the same time especially if I am at the actual quilting part of a project. I can not sit and quilt for ends at a time. I need other activities in between else I get too sore and never mention it is my least favorite part of quilting.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:50 AM

Slow and steady wins the race, remember? Get the least desirable done first, more time for the fun things. Waiting for the water to boil for pasta? Gives me enough time to make one square or sew 15" on a binding. Make good use of small snippets of time and you will be surprised how fast the job gets done. Sewing binding onto the quilt on a machine. I let it sit and sew as I get a few minutes like talking on my cell, I turn on speaker phone and start sewing on the binding. Then move it to the kitchen so as I cook I can hand sew. Haven't figured out what to do while vacuming, guess that why it doesn't get done too often.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:03 AM
e4

Tell yourself you are going to give yourself 15 minutes or some other amount of time to sew. Remember sewing is a treat (it's my relaxation time) not a chore That is sitting in in front of the machine time if you already have the projects organized. Make time like this everyday or multiple times a day if possible. You will be amazed how fast things will get done. When it's done mark it off you list and see the marked out thiings grow. Real motivation.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:14 AM

what awesome ideas. Im going to get some zip lock bags.....That would really help my mess.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:07 AM

I bought 4 12 x 12 "Art Bins" from Joanns (also saw them at Michaels). All of the material for a project will fit in one. I promised myself that I would never have more projects going than I have containers (not counting finished tops). That way I have a choice of what to work on, but I am not overwhelmed with too many projects. Every now and then I make myself quilt 2 tops before I am allowed to start a new project.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:28 AM

I know how you feel. Start with the easy one first. Actually, I'd start with my DGD's first because I'd want her to have the pj's, maybe that will spark your interest again. Sometimes you just have to walk away for a couple days, then look back and dig in. Good luck. You'll get it all done when you need to......just get back in the game.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:22 PM

I have a deal with my children, They are all grown but I still like to hear from them since they live far away. They call me or I call them on the day of the week that they were born on. So I sew on projects for them on the day of the week that they were born on.

It gives me variety and a fresh look at projects that are bothering me.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by quilter68
I have a deal with my children, They are all grown but I still like to hear from them since they live far away. They call me or I call them on the day of the week that they were born on. So I sew on projects for them on the day of the week that they were born on.

It gives me variety and a fresh look at projects that are bothering me.
I only have two kids, and both were born on a Monday at 10 o'clock. 3 yrs., 9mo. to the min. a part. No variety there. So Sunday is phone call to kids, sister and mom. That's a cute idea though. And my two DGD are 3 yr. and 1 day apart. And my sons birthday is in the same month, so March and Dec. are expensive months.