Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do? >

What do you do?

What do you do?

Old 10-28-2010, 04:06 AM

I share the frustration of those on here. Lately at the end of the day, after grandchildren have been here all day, I just want to sit and stare at the wall. I've taken on a quilt with over 1,000 berries on it, not sure why, and that's staring at me. I've spent the last two months just cutting out the pieces. I also have yet another baby quilt I will need to do. I just don't have the time or energy. I've told my children that I'm happy if I just have most of my mornings, but they don't always listen. I've wasted all of the last two weeks. I need a mental health day where I quilt all day.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:12 AM

I gotta laugh at numbering & putting them in a jar. That is exactly what my gal Friday does for me in my accounting office. When the dead lines for corporations are nearing, she numbers the ones left & the number I draw is the next return to get done. I'll have to try that in my quilting room!!
Old 10-28-2010, 04:26 AM

OH, MY GOSH! I could have written this post. It is wonderful to read all the responses. All is out of the cupboard; now to use the many suggestions to organize and just start. Someday I'll be sewing Spring projects in the Fall and Christmas projects in July. I hate this HURRY UP TO FINISH feeling.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by SuziC
Okay i need to know if this happens to you too.....I have bought way too much fabric lately without any reason and have tooo many projects looking at me. I need to finish three baby quilts, make my Christmas gifts (5) and my granddaughters want new PJ's. Twice now i have looked at my sewing table and just walked away thinking "i can't get this all done" It's like there is a wall up and i don't know what to work on first. I have started all the projects but am at a standstill. How do you all overcome this???? I am wasting time!
I have felt JUST LIKE THIS lately! I try to straighten up the sewing room first and then decide which project has to be done first. Sometimes this looks like puttering around doing nothing but really the ideas are "marinating!" Sometimes doing something simple will get me back on track. This week I was floundering, and found a papier mache pumpkin in the basement that I had started to paint during my folk art painting phase. I cut up some leftover orange scraps and decopaged them to the pumpkin, and made some free standing applique leaves for it. It looks cute on my table but most importantly it got me doing SOMETHING and I'm more back on track! Good luck!
Old 10-28-2010, 04:59 AM

You all seem so very organized. Personally I have projects not only piled in the sewing room, but the dining room, livingroom, etc--you get the pix--VBG. But I am sure they will all be wonderful--if I ever finish them.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:08 AM

Okay i need to know if this happens to you too.....I have bought way too much fabric lately without any reason and have tooo many projects looking at me. I need to finish three baby quilts, make my Christmas gifts (5) and my granddaughters want new PJ's. Twice now i have looked at my sewing table and just walked away thinking "i can't get this all done" It's like there is a wall up and i don't know what to work on first. I have started all the projects but am at a standstill. How do you all overcome this???? I am wasting time!
Been there. Done that.

I agree that coffee and background music help get me moving.

Also, when the sewing table is a disaster area --oh that just stops me dead in my tracks. I have to clear it off before I can really sew sew sew!
Old 10-28-2010, 05:15 AM

Good, I'm not alone. I started playing with piecing techniques that morphed into two quilt tops. Can't bring myself to work on them lately 'cause they aren't for anyone specifically. I need deadlines to be productive...
Now I'm getting distracted with the thoughts of Christmas present projects.
Yes, babysteps. One thing at a time.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:53 AM

I've been there (where you are) for a month now. My daughter's quilt top is not coming together. The beautiful batiks I spent so much money on are not falling into place. She wants fans, fans, then more fans. The other day she said the magic words..."Mom, I trust you. Just do whatever you want." The fog began to lift. Now she needs a baby quilt for a shower in two weeks and I had just happened to find a link here for a youtube tutorial about the 10 minute, three seam block and thought, wow, I can do the baby quilt. Here I go to Hancock's and Hobby Lobby and get some flannels (they are so hard to work with because they stretch!) and I'm on my way. I am also adding some micro suede to the top and voila`...I'm on my way again. I am ignoring Daughter's quilt top and the ideas are coming again for hers. It's doable. Don't beat yourself up, just be gentle and do what you can, being willing to try something new or different. I stopped going to my shop and worked on my computer for days, putting in more ram, cleaning, etc. Did something different. Sorry this is so long.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:11 AM

This happens to me with more regularity that I'd like. I have found that cleaning my sewing room helps. (all FQs put away, dust gone, scrap basket crammed so it isn't spilling out - the whole nine yards) I put each project into it's own zippered bag (the kind sheets come in or Ziploc) and stacked neatly in the closet. Then I take one out and do it. This process clears my mind more than anything and allows me to proceed in a less pressured way. Just by doing the first one, even if I trash my sewing room along the way, gets me on a roll and things get done. Just my way of doing it!

Old 10-28-2010, 06:15 AM
nab

Been there. Don't know the answer, but eventially it gets done. Mine is usually deciding what I want to do next. There are so many things I want to do. Which first????