Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do? >

What do you do?

What do you do?

Old 10-27-2010, 04:49 AM

I was in your shoes just a little bit ago. There was so much I needed to get done! The worst was the grandbabies Halloween costumes. I put making them off until DD was getting paniky. I finally finished them last week and felt such a major relief! Just finishing something seems to get me jumpstarted.

I spent this past weekend putting some major miles on my poor sewing machine. I finished 3 quilt tops and it feels so good!!! They are just simple ones, but I love how they look and can't wait to sandwich and quilt them.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:53 AM

Put Into your mind HOW you will feel when they open their gifts and the Joy that you will see on their faces. The Positives Always get me moving. Have Fun
Old 10-27-2010, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

I am strange, I would do the project with the most to do or the hardest project first. Then I can lood forward to the easy ones. Promise yourself a treat a some kind when you finish each one. Something simple but a reward.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:18 AM

Yup, I'm there. I straightened my sewing room and put all the fabric back on the shelves. Then I cleaned up all my UFOs and WISPs (and the fabric required to complete them) and put them in zip lock bags. These are the projects I took to the retreat to work on (I did get 4 tops completed). The ones I didn't finish are in a drawer under the quilt frame. I do not take anything off the shelves till I complete something. I now have 3 ready for binding, and 7 ready for quilting (one I decided to make more blocks so it will fit a queen instead of a double bed). This works for me because I don't have any deadlines or things that need to be completed.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:21 AM

I was really in a rut on my current quilt, so I put it aside and did a few small projects. That got my mojo flowing and now I'm nearing completion on the current one!
Old 10-27-2010, 05:39 AM

THANK YOU SO MUCH for all the helpful advise. I am feeling more inspired now and will try to do the smaller ones first. You are right ladies...i need to see some progress to keep focused. I am also going to put some of the projects away in a bin so i don't constantly see what i have left to do. Just focus on one thing at a time. You guys are the BEST....thanks to all my quilting friends..off to sew!!!!!
Old 10-27-2010, 05:45 AM

This is always my problem (and not just with sewing)... there is so much housework, yard work, bills to pay, grocery shopping, etc.

I end up being busy all day long and not getting anything completed, which at the end of the day is frustrating and carries on to the next day and so on....

I need to dedicate all of my energy to one until it is finished, then move to the next. If I were you.. I would do the one that needs to be completed first, then move to the next... If they are all due at the same time, start with the quickest and get it done, mark it off of your list, wa-la.. your list is shorter :)

Now... if only I could take my own advice, rather just give it
Old 10-27-2010, 06:00 AM

Set up a system where you have to account for each day. It doesn't matter what you work on just that you work on something. Don't put an 'end' date on anything..... You will be surprised how much you will get done. I usually keep saying to myself, "I have time to get it done TOMORROW".... and tomorrow never comes :)
Old 10-27-2010, 06:09 AM

I am like that sometimes too, just overwhelmed by all I've started and want to do. It helps to pick one that is "most urgent" or easiest. Then say "I'm going to finish that, and then I'll think about everything else." Start with the smallest step - cut the binding out, or sew one block together, or even just sew one seam (depends on where you are in the project). It's hard to stop with one little thing once you get started, but even if that little thing is all you get done, it's something. The next day, pick the next step and do it. If you start feeling overwhelmed, just (try to) stop thinking about it. Think about whatever small step is next, and when/how you can accomplish that.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:20 AM

I am similarly overwhelmed. I returned home from a trip to Cameroon and Denmark with over 30 yards of new fabric. That joined the previously unstored stash acquired just before the trip and now my stack is taking over. Every night this week, I've gone home looking forward to playing with the fabric and every night I've turned to something else instead.

I need to bite the bullet and get some of it folded for storage and wash the pieces I need for my next project, and iron the ones that I washed a few weeks ago, and...

Cheers, K