Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do? >

What do you do?

What do you do?

Old 10-28-2010, 02:56 PM

I hope this is not hijacking the thread: I like to start a new project instead of finishing an old one. So I told myself that I must finish one old UFO, then I can start a new project. So far, that is working for me- does it generate more UFO's? I don't know yet, but starting a new project is energizing for me and I am having fun quilting.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by SuziC
Okay i need to know if this happens to you too.....I have bought way too much fabric lately without any reason and have tooo many projects looking at me. I need to finish three baby quilts, make my Christmas gifts (5) and my granddaughters want new PJ's. Twice now i have looked at my sewing table and just walked away thinking "i can't get this all done" It's like there is a wall up and i don't know what to work on first. I have started all the projects but am at a standstill. How do you all overcome this???? I am wasting time!
There is an old saying that the best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time. You need to pick up the top of the pile and get started, the wall will vanish once you take that little baby step. Been there done that!
Old 10-28-2010, 03:50 PM

I have way too many projects either started or have the fabric and pattern in a tote ready to go. Some I even have cut up into kit's. I use to have a stack of projects in order of priority at the far end of my sewing table. Seeing them sitting there waiting overwhelmed me so I put them all away except the one I'm currently working on. I find I enjoy the one I am working on at the moment more when I don't have so much other work staring me in the face.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by SuziC
Okay i need to know if this happens to you too.....I have bought way too much fabric lately without any reason and have tooo many projects looking at me. I need to finish three baby quilts, make my Christmas gifts (5) and my granddaughters want new PJ's. Twice now i have looked at my sewing table and just walked away thinking "i can't get this all done" It's like there is a wall up and i don't know what to work on first. I have started all the projects but am at a standstill. How do you all overcome this???? I am wasting time!
I have two words...rag quilts. Let me say that they are cute for kids, but not my personal favorite. However, my hubby loves them and has asked for one of his own. To be honest, I think he sees me finishing projects. (I can make a few a week out of mostly things I have on hand.) He also sees me more b/c half of my time is spent with him while I am snipping! I am on my 3rd and have busted some stash, but I now have a fresh outlook for my next planned traditional quilt!!! (Oh, I must get more fabric now!!!!) Hugs!
Old 10-28-2010, 04:14 PM

If you have a block because it seems too overwhelming, just remember that it is one 'block' at a time. Start on the smallest, easiest stuff first and work your way up. If this is still daunting, put all the projects names in a hat and draw them out randomly, and stick to it.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:24 PM

The thing is that we quilters are "art-teests"! We quilt when the wind blows or whenever the heck we want to! Yes we have all these projects that we just can't wait to see done but there are just too many! so beautiful , so sweet, so daring, so colorful! Oh, please! I just CAN"T do it today.....I'll think about it tomorrow! After all, tomorrow IS another day.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:37 PM

I had to force my brain not to think about all the other fabric combinations on my shelves,and just focus on the quilt pattern that I had picked to make. Then I only do that one quilt from start to finished quilt. I have to work this way from January til October or else I wouldn't have enough quilts to sell for Christmas. But it is really hard to do.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by lindagor
I know exactly how you feel! Overwhelmed! I try to make myself set a little goal and focus on just accomplishing that, instead of looking at the huge amount of stuff I have to get finished. When I do that I actually begin to get something done instead of sighing, lowering my head, and walking nervously away thinking, "How am I going to get this all done?"
This is a very wise answer. I agree. :thumbup:
Old 10-28-2010, 04:38 PM

ok I have been fighting with this for some time but then I got this ergant request for a couple of quilts needed for a family that lost their father. So I moved everything aside and jump on the quilts needed for the despaired family. Now I'm right back where I started. 5 blanket for one of my brothers, one for another brother and debating on trying to get 40 quilts for soldiers who are getting ready for the winter and I know they will be freezing once it gets cool.
This is my plan, there is no way I can honestly do the 40 quilts so I'm putting those off, will start the 5 blanket tomorrow and with some luck I might get the one done for my other brother. I'm still thinking I can do a few for the soldiers so I will make some extra blocks in between and try to get more fabrics for doing them. This way I feel good enough to keep sewing and still am hopeful I can get all of these done.

The best I can say is make a plan, then do your best to stick with it. That's the best you can do, and never stop sewing cause a day lost will never be regained.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I am strange, I would do the project with the most to do or the hardest project first. Then I can lood forward to the easy ones. Promise yourself a treat a some kind when you finish each one. Something simple but a reward.
like chocolate! Oops, that might be necessary fuel while sewing! How about another LQS trip?
Nah! Just photo the finished item and we will all oo and ah! Talk about gratification. That should do it!
Now, I guess I should start in on my stack of projects!