Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do when the longarm quilting is less than ideal? >

What do you do when the longarm quilting is less than ideal?

What do you do when the longarm quilting is less than ideal?

Old 04-22-2014, 11:35 AM

Does anyone know if I can wash the quilt in question before hand stitching the binding down? What will happen to the exposed batting? That would save me a lot of time wasted.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:37 AM

Oh wow. I just got a response. She said to bring it back and she'd unquilt it and do it over. What's to say it will turn out any better the next time?
I also got an offer from a wonderful person on here to quilt it if I send it to her.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sval View Post
Oh wow. I just got a response. She said to bring it back and she'd unquilt it and do it over. What's to say it will turn out any better the next time?
I also got an offer from a wonderful person on here to quilt it if I send it to her.
Most LAQ want to make it right. I am glad she responded this way. She may not have been aware the tension was off. There are no guarantees it will turn out better next time. Only you can decide at this point if you want to give her another chance or take the quilt to a different LAQ
Old 04-22-2014, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

No know that I would trust her to redo the quilting.
I quilt my own quilts and would not trust anyone else to quilt them. I also want to say I made it all myself.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

If the bobbin thread is as loose as you say it should be very easy to rip out from the bobbin side of the quilt. Better to rip than have a bad quilting job and a quilt you will not use.
peace
Old 04-22-2014, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

I would rip it out. Try lifting the top or backing from the sandwich and clipping the threads between, may be easier than trying to pick up the thread from the top or bottom. This may be one of those things you save for sitting in front of the TV. I probably would not confront the LA'r. I'm sure the others know her quality (or lack thereof) of quilting and must think it's OK. I would chalk it up to a lesson learned.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:03 PM

That was a generous offer from her, but I'm not sure I would want her to redo it. I would redo it myself and move on down the road. It's possible that this is the first time for this outcome and everyone else is satisfied with her work. I think your note to her was nice and got the point across without any accusations. You handled a sticky situation very well IMHO. Hope you can get it fixed without too much trouble and work.
Sue
Old 04-22-2014, 02:36 PM

When I was small, my family lived in Possum Trot Alabama.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
OK. Time to be sneaky! Insist that you bring it to her in person to her home.

While there exclaim that you'd love to see her quilts and quilting room and longarm setup. Take a good look at her work. It could be that she was in a hurry to get your quilt back to you and didn't look at the back. I sure hope so.

If her work is up to snuff, give her a second chance.

Good luck!
Old 04-23-2014, 04:00 AM

This is not YOUR fault. Take it back, quilting and all, and tell her respectfully that apparently her machine needs to be tweaked so that the tension is right. Use kind words. Maybe she was in a hurry or she feels that since it is a donation quilt it is good enough...she needs to know that it is just as important to do acceptable work on a donation quilt as on any other customer quilt. SHE needs to rip it out and re-quilt it is that is what has to be done. She should have one of those electric "razor" type rippers that will take out the stitches much faster than you can.