Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do when the longarm quilting is less than ideal? >

What do you do when the longarm quilting is less than ideal?

What do you do when the longarm quilting is less than ideal?

Old 04-22-2014, 09:30 AM

On the AQPS forum the LA'ers use razor blade cutters for ripping out the quilting stitches. What they've demonstrated (called frogging) is folding back the top from the batting/backing and carefully slice through all the stitches. It's just another ripping out technique that must go faster.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:32 AM

I consider myself a beginner when it comes to longarm quilting. That being said, I have done a handful of quilts for Quilts for Kids (they have been my own quilt tops). If the group thought they weren't done well enough to donate, I would really want them to say something to me. Even better if there was another longarm quilter in the group who could offer some pointers, tips, suggestions, etc. Just my opinion.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:42 AM

From my understanding, QOV groups have (or should have) quality control and quality requirements - so they should at least know (and see photo's) of the quilt. If you are not willing to contact the LA, contact the group leader - or another member. They may even offer to remove the quilting and re-do it.

The good news is that if the bottom tension is that loose ... it's very easy to remove the quilting. Some of the area's where it was over-quilted will be harder, but it can ... and should ... be done.

There are so many QOV groups, I'm sure if you contacted another they would be happy to get it quilted for you. You might have to ship it though.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

I would take pictures and email them to the organizer/chair of the group. I agree that completed quilts reflect on the entire group, so they should be made aware of sub standard work. The quilting designs may not be pretty (given the volunteer long armers), however they should be done well enough where you shouldn't worry about the quilting coming out.
I also agree with Feline Fanatic. If the bobbin thread is just laying on the back, it shouldn't take much time at all to remove the quilting. Ask me how I know ;-)
Old 04-22-2014, 10:04 AM

The longarmer in question is the head of the group. All the other ladies have been apart of the group for quite awhile. So it seems they must know the quality of the work being done and keep going back for more. So as the newbie(I've only been twice) approaching them seems odd.
I'm just surprised that QOV doesn't step in and do something about it if that group keeps sending in subpar quilts.
I wrote her an email thanking her for her generous service and then told her about the issues with the quilt. Suggesting she should have her tension checked. And letting her know I wasn't sure I could submit it the way it is.
I'll be curious to see if I get a response.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

That does make addressing the issue of the poor quilting a lot more difficult - - -
Old 04-22-2014, 10:29 AM

I would rip it out and do it myself. The longarmer knows she didn't do it right and didn't care to do that. It's your hard work into the quilt. Don't let one person ruin it for you. But I would not let a "volunteer" do it again unless I saw her work.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
The longarmer in question is the head of the group. All the other ladies have been apart of the group for quite awhile. So it seems they must know the quality of the work being done and keep going back for more. So as the newbie(I've only been twice) approaching them seems odd.
I'm just surprised that QOV doesn't step in and do something about it if that group keeps sending in subpar quilts.
I wrote her an email thanking her for her generous service and then told her about the issues with the quilt. Suggesting she should have her tension checked. And letting her know I wasn't sure I could submit it the way it is.
I'll be curious to see if I get a response.
It sounds like you found a nice way to tell her about it. Let us know what she replies. So frustrating... :-/
Old 04-22-2014, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
On the AQPS forum the LA'ers use razor blade cutters for ripping out the quilting stitches. What they've demonstrated (called frogging) is folding back the top from the batting/backing and carefully slice through all the stitches. It's just another ripping out technique that must go faster.
LOL, all unsewing is called frogging, as in "rip it, rip it" (think frog going ribbit, ribbit) so if you are ripping a seam or a bunch of quilting it is frogging.
The technique of using a razor blade cutter and peeling backing from quilt and cutting the exposed stitches is often referred to as "skinning" a quilt and often when doing this technique you sacrifice the backing because you inevitably nick the backing while doing it and usually in more than one place. Skinning does go quickly so losing the backing is often a fair price to pay for the time and effort saved.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:34 AM

I agree with Feline Fanatic's first comment about taking detailed pictures. You have sent her an email that was positive and kind. If there are any repercussions you have pics that can easily be shown and shared for further reference without dragging out the quilt, unless it is necessary, to back up your concerns. As you said it is a touchy situation with her being the leader of the group.

Her response will guide your next actions. If there is a poor outcome, I probably would find another group that would be more appreciative of your hard work. Since you are very unhappy with the quilting, I think your alternative is to rip it out. Perhaps a new group will appreciate your efforts, understand your dilemma and will help with the removal of the the quilting so you can move on.

Good luck - let us know

Last edited by costumegirl; 04-22-2014 at 11:37 AM.