Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do when???? >

What do you do when????

What do you do when????

Old 07-11-2012, 05:40 AM

I'm still new, but I have thought that I just won't be able to say yes if someone asks me to make a quilt for them, for that reason. I have no problem with giving away a quilt, but my free time is precious. If I do a pattern someone else wants with fabric someone else wants, I won't feel inspired, and it will become a chore instead of a pleasure. I have enough chores as it is.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:48 AM

I just keep reminding myself it is what THEY want and that is most importand. What we like isn't what everyone else likes. I keep going, looking forward to when they recieve it.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:00 AM

I guess I'm lucky, I like tons of different colors. Some (like anything pink or pastel) are not colors I would ever wear or have as a decorative color in my house, but I still enjoy working with them in quilts or art pieces, especially ones I'm going to give away! That's actually part of what I like about making quilts for others, is working with colors that I would not ordinarily have chosen. I'm working on a quilt for my niece right now that is all in pinks and foo-foo girly fabric. I would NEVER want to keep this quilt, but I know she's going to love it, so I'm enjoying making it and the scraps will go into a charity quilt. Everybody wins.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

Just keep saying to yourself, I think I can, I think I can, until you get it done. It is difficult to work on a pattern or fabric that you hate but they will love it.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:11 AM

Just keep saying, 'it's not for me', 'it's not for me'....... I had to do this with clothing construction....
Old 07-11-2012, 09:42 AM

Well, at least you won't get attached and not want to give it away!
Old 07-11-2012, 10:54 AM

Been there, done that. Just keep going - quilt making comes from a place of love. They can't all be our favorites - but surely this one will be the recipients favorite and that's where you need to take comfort and get encouragement to make it to the end. Just keep breaking it up with little ones you love. Mine was a KS too - took me 4 years to complete for the same reason, but it's done now and that's what's important.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:14 AM

look at it this way, its better than loving, loving, loving it so much and then hate to give it away. Who has time to make quilts for theirselves right. Well at least I dont
Old 07-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

Be glad you don't have to keep it and just keep on going.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:08 PM

I used to try to do that--and never felt good about the quilt. Now, I decide in a general way--earth tones, brights, or pastels, etc. I don't feel good making a "made to order quilt" especially when I am paying for it, and doing all of the work! Now, I do what brings me joy--while staying in the color family of the recipient's house.