Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Do When .... ?

Blog Entries
    I thought it was just me. I only had a few more blocks to do to finish a project i really love. I kept putting it off. Today I finally finished them. Even though i love the quilt pattern,colors and doing the blocks I dont think I like doing the same thing over and over. Think next I will try a sampler.

The only time I really don't finish something, is if I'm just totally disgusted with the way it's turning out. That's only happened a couple of times though.

Blog Entries
    What you describe is exactly why we need so many UFO, WIP, and PIGS threads. Can you bribe yourself with a reward that may be gotten or done when the project is finished?

Bribes work...also soothing music....found THAT very helpful....

Prism99 has a good point; the timer works for those projects that just don't seem to excite me. I'm currently working on a log cabin myself, I love a scrap anything, but a log cabin, draws me, like a cleanser between other projects, so I do those more than any other pattern....I started working 'a block' at a time, that was very tedious to me, as it's a 'planned' srappy... so now I'm doing a round at a time, and I've found that it really helps to get how ever many finished blocks you have up on the design wall so you can see your progress, it started moving along after that. Or, there's always the option of just not finishing it,; I've send a couple quilts to the second hand store like that before, when it just became too much of a chore to work on them... Good luck.

Blog Entries
    we have a couple or so groups here that get together for mini retreats places where they have church camps, a motel,a church or comunnity center and spend time working on our UFO's sure makes those problem things easier to finish I've got one now that is just my carry around thing sometimes just to a friends house when we get together to sew then it is fun to work on
    Good Luck Dodie

Blog Entries
    we have a couple or so groups here that get together for mini retreats places where they have church camps, a motel,a church or comunnity center and spend time working on our UFO's sure makes those problem things easier to finish I've got one now that is just my carry around thing sometimes just to a friends house when we get together to sew then it is fun to work on
    Good Luck Dodie

I know the feeling. I have so many different projects I'm in the middle of right now. I've one side of a duvet for our comforter pieced, but packed away in a big ziploc bag. I haven't decided on a pattern or fabric for the other side yet. I'm in the middle of a fireworks challenge quilt -(deadline is Aug. 7), for this year's convention, I'm sewing hexagons together for a large OBW, plus I've fabric for placemats to make for us and gifts... The list goes on and on it seems. Last Fall, when I was cutting and sewing like mad to get the first duvet side pieced, I wanted to get started on the OBW, but I made the decision that "No, I'd finish the duvet first, before I started anything else!" That was incentive to get it pieced. I also am working full time too, so there doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day or night. Maybe when we retire in a couple years, I'll have enough hours.

I'm working on finishing 50 log cabin blocks right now. I find that I can't plan to do just one block a day because that never happens, so I try to set a goal of sewing a row of strips on 10 blocks, if I still have time I do another 10 blocks. I'm lucky to have a sewing room so I leave everything ready to go next time I can sew, spending time setting up to sew does take a lot of time.

Now, if I can just motivate myself to work on the quilt I want to put in my guild's show in May I'll be doing something. All the blocks are made and arranged on my design wall but they've been sitting there since the beginning of the year. May in Jersey

I work on one quilt at a time and I have no problem finishing, because I will not start another before I finish what I have already started. I have just always done it this way. As I am finishing one I start planning the next, so I'm anxious to get finished, that is my motivation.

With the last project I had like that I took it to a 4 day quilting retreat and NOTHING ELSE. I finally finished it . 64 12" blocks. That was a lot of work.
    Cindy

Actually I am so glad to read this because I thought I was the only one who gets hung up and simply can't make myself pick it up again. I have no answers only more questions of my own.

Don't give up! I started my log cabin over three years ago and just finished the last block this morning. I'll probably be playing with the layout for a few days until I decide how I want to put it together but I am so excited that I have finally gotten to this point and you will be too if you just keep at it. Please don't wait as long as I did to finish it!!! Keep us posted on your progress :thumbup:

I love chain piecing it saves time and thread. I stack each section then start chain sewing up to 25 at a time and then cut off the first one sewn and start chaining the next stack. By cutting them off one at a time you can keep track of where your at easier.

Some of the local quilt shops have times when you can gather and work on things together. Maybe the socialization will help you want to work on the squares there. Or invite some friends over, have some healthy snacks and just have a quilting day.

Blog Entries
    i have 4 quilts to finish my excuess is i need a long arm quilting machine and thats my story and im sticking to it :D

I agree, put it aside for awhile, maybe not a month but out of sight out of mind, til your frustation is gone, then pick it up and if you have that feeling as soon as you touch, let it lay, it 's not time for you to work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ReRe
    What do you do when you have a quilting project that is perfectly lovely yet you have to argue every stitch of the way to actually work on it. The one I have is a Log Cabin blanket that will fit my King Size Bed. I figured up that I only need to make one square a day until I have the required number made yet I have a hard time getting them done. I am so far behind I am planting the cotton plant. Yet I do no want to give up on this project. I keep putting it aside to work on later and nothing helps. I just keep seeing me putting it aside again and again and never getting it done. What do I do 'cause I really do want to do this quilt.
    First of all, do you have a time limit to get the quilt done? If not, then what do mean that you're behind. Relax and enjoy the journey. You have a whole lifetime to do it (and if you don't make it, someone else will finish it for you).

Thought ya'll would like to see a picture of the quilt so far. DH even approves of the layout ... and since it is for our bed that is important. This is the first picture I have posted so be nice please ladies. Now I am off to work on said quilt while in the right mood.

Log Cabin So Far
    Name:  Attachment-12392.jpe
Views: 9
Size:  9.5 KB

When I did my log cabin I didn't make one block at a time. I chain pieced them and it went rather quickly. I fine if I get into a routine it seems to help.

I am fairly new to the quiltingboard but I love it and enjoy everyone of you. It is a wonderful feeling to know I'm not alone keeping my interest on the quilt I'm now working on. I laughed at the "Where to you quilt thread".
    Do you realize how many of you use your grown child's room for a sewing room? I can see you all just waiting to wave good-bye at the window to start changing the room!! I'm a dining room sewer also. lol.

geeeeeesh!! relax, that's what quilting is all about. so you have trouble getting back to a project. set it aside for however long and you'll soon notice that the UFO will start calling you to work on it again, and believe me, it hollers. you'll know when the time is right. topper

Quote Originally Posted by JoAnnGC
    Don't give up! I started my log cabin over three years ago and just finished the last block this morning. I'll probably be playing with the layout for a few days until I decide how I want to put it together but I am so excited that I have finally gotten to this point and you will be too if you just keep at it. Please don't wait as long as I did to finish it!!! Keep us posted on your progress :thumbup:
    It only takes you a few days to decide on the arrangement of your blocks? You're way faster than me! Depending on the size , it takes me much longer. A couple winters ago I was working on a New York Beauty that had 30 12" blocks. That one took me over a month to decide on final arrangement. In the end I still had a few I didn't like where they ended up, but, " Oh well. No one else will notice that I have 2 blocks right next to each other that have the same fabric in them, will they?"

Hey! I have the same problem,,,lololol,,I have a 4-ply afghan almost done, and a cotton thread filet crochet almost done,,neither are getting done tho b'cuz I feel the need to read all these forums,,,lololol

Often I find that getting myself organized helps the very most. I find it very difficult to sew if I know the laundry is stacked up, or the kitchen needing attention, or I haven't cooked a good meal in a few days. THEN there is the sewing room!!! If I make myself get that room in order and get my project organized, i.e. iron in convenient location, quilt pieces lined up, several bobbins wound and ready, etc. etc. I can enjoy a project that I've lost interest in. It drives me absolutely NUTS to have to look for sissors or have to stop to wind another bobbin or having to run to another room to find something I left there. The psychological thing for me is that I feel that I am neglecting my family if I don't have their laundry done or good food for them every night. However, I am LEARNING to expect my family to take some responsibilities for their own care and trying to drop that "guilt trip" for myself.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast