Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with your fabric scraps? >

What do you do with your fabric scraps?

What do you do with your fabric scraps?

Old 10-26-2011, 06:03 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

LOL I send them off to my grands so they have some scraps to sew with to make many different things.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:04 AM

I stuff them into a baggie and pray that some day in the near future, I am experienced and knowledgeable enough to know what to do with them!
Old 10-26-2011, 06:04 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

LOL I send them off to my grands so they have some scraps to sew with to make many different things. If they have too many I sew them together till I have an idea ..
Old 10-26-2011, 06:09 AM

One more thing I would like to add, when I need a piece of fabric to applique or for whatever reason, I simply look for the size I need. I have blocks cut from 1 1/2 inches all the way to 10 inch blocks. Bricks and strips are also used as needed. It is very user friendly.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:10 AM

may I ask what is a crumb block? I am still pretty new to the quilting society and I need scraps so lately I have been going garage sale hunting primarely for fabric scraps some good luck some bad luck, some, no luck at all ha ha ha
Old 10-26-2011, 06:58 AM

DITTO!

Originally Posted by Kat Sews
Check out Bonnie Hunter's method of using scraps at Quiltville.com
Old 10-26-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Becka
I trim them to the largest strip or square that I can. I don't applique (never say never :) ) so don't keep the oddly shaped pieces in odd shapes. The smallest I cut is to 1" . I have the stackable plastic drawers that I keep them sorted in, and the smaller ones in plastic pencil boxes. That works so far, but I don't have a monstrous collection - yet... :)

I tend to do the same type of patterns, I like d9p so I make the largest square I can get out the fabric, then I'll cut into strips what's left. Anything less then about 1/8 yard. I don't go less then about 1" strips and won't do 1" squares. Less then that goes into a bag for a lady who makes pet beds for the local humane society.

I did make a lot of crumb blocks over the years but honestly even though they are fun to make it doesn't seem to use up the scraps as quickly as I want to. Because when I trim up the crumb blocks the trimmings are the beginning of the next crumbs.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:04 AM

I don't cut them until I am ready to use them because some pieces can be used for paper piecing and maybe you need a small square for a quilt block etc....
Old 10-26-2011, 07:11 AM

anlmlover-crumbs are small pieces of fabrics, that you sew together, sort of like a crazy quilt, but much smaller pieces, until you get to the size of block you want, then you square it up and do it all over again. Try the search button on board with crumb quilts and you'll see all kinds of beautiful inspirations.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by anlmlover
may I ask what is a crumb block? I am still pretty new to the quilting society and I need scraps so lately I have been going garage sale hunting primarely for fabric scraps some good luck some bad luck, some, no luck at all ha ha ha
My take on crumb blocks are small pieces of fabric sewn together to form enough material that can be cut to the size block you want.

Try Fabric.com and search for remnant. They sell remnants by the pound that are between 1/8 and a yard. The price is about $20 for about 9 yards of good quality fabric. If you order at leat $35 shipping is free. use code CLEAR1026 and receive another 30 off. I've ordered several times and love their fabric.