Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do with your scraps?

I hate to throw away any fabric. I keep a large container under my sewing table where I put my scraps when cutting out a quilt. When It starts getting full I sit up my iron and cutting board and as I watch tv I cut everything I can into 6 1/2 inch blks, then I go back through and cut what I can at 4 1/2, then 2 1/2 then I use what is left for string piecing. (I don't like 5 1/2 blocks I like even nujmbeers). I love scrappy quilts so this works fine for me. Great to cut down on number of blocks and use 2 1/2 etc blocks instead of sashing. Puts a lot of color in a quilt.

I just recommended this to a friend who was talking about tossing her scraps!

Blog Entries
    Perfect way to manage them!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    That's a great way!! Do you ever just get in the mood to cut?? I do sometimes :D

I cut mine up as I finish a quilt. Anything too small to even bee a string goes in a bucket to make pet pillows for the local animal shelter. Works great and I throw nothing out

Blog Entries
    Check out Bonnie Hunter's site. http://quiltville.com/ She has a lot of good ideas about scraps. I have made some of her quilts and will make many more.

Blog Entries
    if you do not have use for your scraps-instead of sending to a land fill you should ALWAYS pass them on- plenty of people in need- who would/could put them to great use...
    the local senior center- the local quilt guild doing charitable projects, the public schools art departments, scouts and 4-H ers,
    plus probably a few hundred right here on the board who would be willing to pay you postage for them- never throw them away- that is just too sad to even think about

Blog Entries
    I have a tall plastic tote for my scraps and when it gets full, I find a scrap pattern and use some of it. My goal to empty the bin has failed miserably - it seems that the scraps multiply overnight. DH suggested to leave the light on so they don't do anything naughty. lol

I have several scrap quilt patterns that I often use to control my scraps. When my scrap bin starts to overflow, I spend some time cutting and put everything including the pattern into a shoe box. Then when I am between projects or bored with the current one, I can pull out my shoebox and stitch some blocks. This works well for me.

I have 6 large totes full of scraps with the intention of someday cutting them into strips and squares, but have realized that when/if I do that, I won't have time to make the 15 already planned quilts with the fabrics all together, SO I'm sending them to a beginning quilt pen pal of mine, that doesn't have much money since she retired from work(RN) because of MS, and hasn't been able to get disability. I usually send her a little something for her birthday and Christmas, just a couple spools of thread, she's just so thankful to have whatever it is I send her.

As I'm sewing I try to sew the pieces that are the same size together as leaders/enders. Like if I'm doing a log cabin with 2.5" strips, I don't pre-cut my strips, I cut as I sew each strip, then when I get down to a small piece of strip then I'll set it aside until I have another small 2.5" strip and sew those together.

I also make a lot of crumb quilts, Crumbs are small bits of fabric 1"-3". See http://quiltville.com/crumbs.shtml

some people call it mile a minute quilts: http://quiltingisstillmypassion.blog...-tutorial.html

Whatever you call it, it is very addictive. I've made 100's of blocks and several quilts, donated a bunch of blocks to others and they've made several quilts. They are kind of tricky to quilt and our LA'ers have asked me to stop because of all the seams. Causes the threads to break when it hits a thick seam.

But anyway, the problem is that you never really get rid of your scraps. When you trim your squares, those trimmings become the beginning of the next set of blocks.

I've got a system down with my strips. I sew strips so I have ~13" wide. Then cut as many 12.5" squares I can from the strip set, then 4.5" x 10.5" as many as I can, then a 2.5" strip.

That way I'm making 3 quilts at a time. The 12.5" strips I sew all around like the Missouri Star quilt company 1/2 square triangle method
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekYpJzHoW6E

and make a super scrappy pinwheel.

The 4.5" strip I make this or something similiar:
    http://www.quiltville.com/stringx.shtml

and the 2-2.5" strip I make chinese coins quilts-sort of like this but smaller coins with alternating fabric 3-4" or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i5qP...EF21A981F69C28

My problem is I like to cut, press and sew my strips but I don't really like to actually piece things into a quilt.

You would not believe how many quilts I have in various stages of construction in my sewing room.

So when I finally force myself to finish I can turn in a bunch at once because I've been working on them all year off and on. I can finish 10 tops in 1 month and that gets people thinking I'm very prolific. No, I'm just a very big procrastinator.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by charity-crafter
    As I'm sewing I try to sew the pieces that are the same size together as leaders/enders. Like if I'm doing a log cabin with 2.5" strips, I don't pre-cut my strips, I cut as I sew each strip, then when I get down to a small piece of strip then I'll set it aside until I have another small 2.5" strip and sew those together.

I also make a lot of crumb quilts, Crumbs are small bits of fabric 1"-3". See http://quiltville.com/crumbs.shtml

some people call it mile a minute quilts: http://quiltingisstillmypassion.blog...-tutorial.html

Whatever you call it, it is very addictive. I've made 100's of blocks and several quilts, donated a bunch of blocks to others and they've made several quilts. They are kind of tricky to quilt and our LA'ers have asked me to stop because of all the seams. Causes the threads to break when it hits a thick seam.

But anyway, the problem is that you never really get rid of your scraps. When you trim your squares, those trimmings become the beginning of the next set of blocks.

I've got a system down with my strips. I sew strips so I have ~13" wide. Then cut as many 12.5" squares I can from the strip set, then 4.5" x 10.5" as many as I can, then a 2.5" strip.

That way I'm making 3 quilts at a time. The 12.5" strips I sew all around like the Missouri Star quilt company 1/2 square triangle method
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekYpJzHoW6E

and make a super scrappy pinwheel.

The 4.5" strip I make this or something similiar:
    http://www.quiltville.com/stringx.shtml

and the 2-2.5" strip I make chinese coins quilts-sort of like this but smaller coins with alternating fabric 3-4" or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i5qP...EF21A981F69C28

My problem is I like to cut, press and sew my strips but I don't really like to actually piece things into a quilt.

You would not believe how many quilts I have in various stages of construction in my sewing room.

So when I finally force myself to finish I can turn in a bunch at once because I've been working on them all year off and on. I can finish 10 tops in 1 month and that gets people thinking I'm very prolific. No, I'm just a very big procrastinator.
    I love your way of thinking on cutting.. :thumbup:

Im a scrappy quilter so I will find ways to use up all my scraps, no matter how small. But i don't tend to work with anything smaller than 1x1.. anything smaller than that ends up being stuffing for something..

I collected for years , because I just could not seem to toss them. I have been making lots of scrappies lately and love it. Having a really good assortment just gets me going.
    Is it just me or do you love your scraps as much as your stash?!

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    Yes, it's so much fun to see what comes out. Especially with crumbs. No 2 blocks are the same. I have a very nice stash that I have basically not touched in 2 years because I've been working on my scraps

Quote Originally Posted by Fabaddict
    I cut mine up as I finish a quilt. Anything too small to even bee a string goes in a bucket to make pet pillows for the local animal shelter. Works great and I throw nothing out
    that's a great idea. and you can even put those extra little pieces of batting that you cut off in the end in those. I bet the animals wouldn't mind!

I justed bookmarked this...thank you! I have lots of scraps and my hope is that this winter i want to use them up in "scrappy quilts" If not i may have to move out..LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S

Yep! Sometimes I think I love the scraps more. :lol:

I have a box of fabric scraps that hubby says I don't need. All he got was a warning look...

I love the idea of crumb quilting. Havn't done it but it certainly looks like fun work. Is there such a thing as fun work? Of course... quilting!

I use scraps for doll clothes. My youngest has a doll she gave to me to use as my model. It is a 21" doll who has a Valentines dress and coordinating shirt. Whenever I dig out the box she will have more clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    That's a great way!! Do you ever just get in the mood to cut?? I do sometimes :D

Yuck! I hate cutting....most likely because my "cutting table" isn't the right height. So when I cut, I do a little and then do something else, then go back and cut more.

Yes, I treasure my scraps and keep pieces of my favorite fabrics for something "special". They are still waiting!

I don't throw away any scapes. I have given them to some ladies that make throws for the nursing homes. Glenda C.

I keep some for applique and donate the rest to a local nursing home. They have an active group of quilters.

Blog Entries
    I finally went thru all my stash and "trimmed" everything up. I save everything from 2' and up. I do have a box of the really tiny scraps, the corners from triangles, thread, batting pieces, selvage ends. I take that to the quilt store and they use it for stuffing for animal beds. The pieces that are too big for that box, but way to small for me, I put in a basket and when its full, I put it on her for giveaway.

Blog Entries
    I have been starting to use them for applique pieces...I give them to friends for their quilts and also stacking them up for future quilts. I may start using them for my labels.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by charity-crafter
    could you elaborate?

you sew strips 13" wide. Crosswise strips, just keep sewing long long long. Cut as many 12.5 sq as you can. When what is left is not 12.5, you cut a 10.5 x 4.5. 10.5 is crosswise & 4.5 is the long long long direction? and one final 2.5 cut?

Thanks for taking the time to explain your system.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast