Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with your scraps? >

What do you do with your scraps?

What do you do with your scraps?

Old 08-16-2011, 08:52 PM

Nearly every quilt I make has scraps leftover from other projects in it. It's almost a matter of pride for me. As my grasp of color theory improves, though, I find myself going for controlled scrappy over "everything but the kitchen sink scrappy" more and more. :)

I love string and crumb quilting, and I'm saving up a bunch of 1.5" squares to use for a postage stamp quilt someday.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:54 PM

MadQuilter wrote:
I have a tall plastic tote for my scraps and when it gets full, I find a scrap pattern and use some of it. My goal to empty the bin has failed miserably - it seems that the scraps multiply overnight. DH suggested to leave the light on so they don't do anything naughty. lol
Yup, scraps are like teenagers, it's not safe to leave them alone in the dark in mixed company.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:13 PM

I save my scraps of all sizes. I don't cut them into squares though because I never know how I might want to use them in the future. Since I also make cloth dolls, appliques, stuffed animals, totes and do embroidery I have all my scraps to choose from for any project. I often find that I have enough in a scrap to use as a focal or accent fabric in a new quilt top. :) :) :)
Old 08-17-2011, 04:53 PM

I keep larger scraps, but I put small ones in a basket that my big boy cat sleeps in. He appreciates scraps!
Old 08-25-2011, 11:00 AM

I am very fortunate I have a granddaughter who loves to make strip quilts. I have an old popcorn can under my cutting table and I toss my scrapes in that. When my granddaughter comes over she delights in going thru my collection and I get to enjoy her company and see what she is sewing now.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:03 AM

I used to throw small scraps away, but after what I have seen people here do with scraps, I have been saving them all. I haven't done anything with them yet, but someday.............
Old 08-28-2011, 06:27 PM

REMEMBER, 9 1/2" block comes out to a 9" and its easy to use in 435 wide or 90 wide and long quilts. easy to figure how many you need! dealing with whole numbers, you end up with mltiplying by 4.5! guess its just a preference
Old 09-17-2011, 02:07 PM

I have plenty of scraps and have cut quite a few of them into squares. My problem is scrappy. I find them difficult because of my need to have things even and equally placed. If I got two of the same color in a row or to close together I would have to take it apart and move them. I tried putting them in separate bags, but I spend as lot of time unsewing. I wish some one had a cure, because I love the ones other people do.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:23 PM

I like some of these ideas, I'll have to make note of them.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:10 PM

I save everything scrap and even the threads left over. I do try to sort them by size but there are times I can't be bothered and just throw them into a trash bag and every couple months go through them and just take them randomly and start sewing them together. No rhyme or reason for it. So far I have amazed my friends and other quilters in two guilds I belong to and really amaze myself at how things turn out. I get remarks from some of them that they wish they could do that and I tell them they can. Just take pieces and start sewing. All of them are "cookie cutters" as I like to call it...have to have a pattern and cut it to be able to start sewing it.

I'm very much the opposite. I'd rather just take different fabrics and just sew and see what comes out of it.

Today instead of sewing at our Wednesday sew I took a full trash bag full of left overs strings, and fabrics and started soring out and yes even selvages and placing them in smaller plastic bags so I can see what I have. One lady told me that was all trash and it should go out in the trash cause that is what she does. I suggested that perhaps she should find someone to give them to like me and would make good use of it. She said she'd think about it but I seriously doubt she will. I know another lady that throws away all left over pieces of fabrics instead of donating it to groups that could make quilts with them to give to charities. It is her right I suppose to do so.

I have plans for what I have even to as little as 1/4" strips.

The left over threads I'll use and blend in needle felting projects or appliquie fabric projects.