Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with your scraps? >

What do you do with your scraps?

What do you do with your scraps?

Old 08-12-2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I have a tall plastic tote for my scraps and when it gets full, I find a scrap pattern and use some of it. My goal to empty the bin has failed miserably - it seems that the scraps multiply overnight. DH suggested to leave the light on so they don't do anything naughty. lol
Oh your DH just tooooo cute, made me laugh and I needed that. I too have a tote + full of smaller scraps but no time to do anything with them right now (LOL).
Old 08-12-2011, 10:33 AM

Great idea! I also save the selvages if they are long and then crochet them into a rug. I'm working on my first one now. I saw this tip in some quilting magazine. As the rug gets bigger, you need really long strips otherwise you spend as much time adding strips as you do crocheting.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:18 AM

I found another Turtle. Not free, but only $5.95
http://www.etsy.com/listing/62523429...t-patternrtle. Not free, but only $5.95
Old 08-12-2011, 03:54 PM

Quilting for about 12 Years and I'm still saving, haven't used them for a qulit yet, sometimes I use for small applique pieces.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:16 PM
QM
Power Poster

That's my technique, but I still do enough sewing with "new" fabric that I can be overwhelmed by scraps at times. I did not realize how badly until I was getting ready to move recently. I had to give away 12 trash bags of perfectly good scraps!!
Old 08-13-2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by bjmartin
I hate to throw away any fabric. I keep a large container under my sewing table where I put my scraps when cutting out a quilt. When It starts getting full I sit up my iron and cutting board and as I watch tv I cut everything I can into 6 1/2 inch blks, then I go back through and cut what I can at 4 1/2, then 2 1/2 then I use what is left for string piecing. (I don't like 5 1/2 blocks I like even nujmbeers). I love scrappy quilts so this works fine for me. Great to cut down on number of blocks and use 2 1/2 etc blocks instead of sashing. Puts a lot of color in a quilt.
I do something like this - including strips (1.5", 2", 2.5", 3.5") and rectangles into the mix. I also separate out and store separately: batiks, 1930's, Halloween & Christmas, and solids (real solids, not tone-on-tones).
Old 08-13-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by bjmartin
I hate to throw away any fabric. I keep a large container under my sewing table where I put my scraps when cutting out a quilt. When It starts getting full I sit up my iron and cutting board and as I watch tv I cut everything I can into 6 1/2 inch blks, then I go back through and cut what I can at 4 1/2, then 2 1/2 then I use what is left for string piecing. (I don't like 5 1/2 blocks I like even nujmbeers). I love scrappy quilts so this works fine for me. Great to cut down on number of blocks and use 2 1/2 etc blocks instead of sashing. Puts a lot of color in a quilt.
Boy,I'm cleaning my sewing room,I've thrown away so much of different tiny scraps.I had to do it,I'm still looking for more room.I still have to clean off my cutting table.Drawers are full, bins are full.Looks like i have to just put the rest of the {STUFF} in plastic sacks and put them in my closet.It's almost done,almost.Connie in CO
Old 08-13-2011, 07:36 AM

I am making a crazy quilt... it is fun to do.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:37 PM

Love these ideas. I save my scraps but I don't have a system and they are just piling up and aging in place...
Old 08-16-2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Johanna Fritz
I save it ALL. I never pre-cut sizes, as I don't know what will inspire me. I am an art quilter too, so some smaller pieces end up in those. I sort by color and use in paper piecing. The smalles peices are chopped up like confetti size and captured under black (fine mesh) tule. They make a water color Monet effect. Then I FMQ through the tule with monofilament thread to tack it down. Look up Noriko Endo to see her work.
Thank you so much for this wonderful way to use the scraps :thumbup: