Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with your scraps? >

What do you do with your scraps?

What do you do with your scraps?

Old 08-11-2011, 09:57 AM

A friend of mine has 4 great-grandsons who would drag her stash out all over the place when they would visit her. So I started saving my scraps into empty plastic bird food containers and gave them to her. Now when the boys visit her, they have their very own "stash" to play with. She said they have such fun taking it out, looking at the designs, folding it, using it as fabric "building blocks" to make pictures with, and just patting and loving on it. Her stash is safer, and my sewing room is cleaner. LOL!

Donna
Old 08-11-2011, 10:41 AM

When I have scraps I make quilt tops. The smaller the scraps the snaller the quilt.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaFreak
. ..... Now when the boys visit her, they have their very own "stash" to play with. She said they have such fun taking it out, looking at the designs, folding it, using it as fabric "building blocks" to make pictures with, and just patting and loving on it. Her stash is safer, and my sewing room is cleaner. LOL! Donna
I bet they create some wonderful blocks. Children have a unique eye sometimes.

I asked my Sunday school class to decorate some squares for a soldier quilt. They were 5-8 yr olds. I brought in scraps of fabric, fabric paint and fabric markers. They could glue the scraps on the fabric and I'd later aplique it all on. This one little guy made a robot but then strung lots of hearts between the arms of the robot. I said, "You know it may go to a boy soldier not a girl, do you want to put so many hearts on it?" His reply, "It's ok. It's a robot. Boys can have hearts as long as it's from a robot" Well, ok, then continue on. But those blocks were the cutest.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:02 AM

Any bits that are more than 1 1/2" square I put into a box then cut them for a tumbling block pattern which I do when away from home by hand, or when I just want to sit and do something in front of the T.V. It is a purely random/scrappy pattern but friends have commented how nice it is so far.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:04 PM

I do the same as you, I also do the strips. I make quilts, placemats, rug mugs, totebags, casserole carriers, pot holders and hot pads.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:11 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I too cut various blocks and from the crumb sz scraps I make animal beds for local shelters. pcs of fleece can be used for dog coats (shelters) and "blankets" for the crates of shelter cats n dogs
Old 08-11-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by bjmartin
I hate to throw away any fabric. I keep a large container under my sewing table where I put my scraps when cutting out a quilt. When It starts getting full I sit up my iron and cutting board and as I watch tv I cut everything I can into 6 1/2 inch blks, then I go back through and cut what I can at 4 1/2, then 2 1/2 then I use what is left for string piecing. (I don't like 5 1/2 blocks I like even nujmbeers). I love scrappy quilts so this works fine for me. Great to cut down on number of blocks and use 2 1/2 etc blocks instead of sashing. Puts a lot of color in a quilt.
Thank you, this is a great idea and I will do it with my scraps. Thanks Glenn
Old 08-11-2011, 02:47 PM

Lots of great ideas here - I'm going to bookmark this page so I can find a project for my never-ending scraps. Thanks to all who have responded to this thread.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:01 PM

I've done this all my quilting life and have tons of precut squares anytime I want to make a scrap quilt! Nothing smaller than 2", however and very few of these.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:55 PM

I don't call them "scraps".....they are my stash.