Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do with your scraps?

I cut my scraps into 5 and 6 inch blocks. Also 2 1/2 strips, sort into light and dark and make jelly roll quilt tops. The skinny strips are used for string blocks. All other bits are saved to make pet pillows.

I also have a scrap bag, which I just can't part with. Some have been perfect when I was making a Flying Geese scrap quilt, but many... They may come into use... Someday.
    Live Long And Prosper!

I make scrap quilts. I don't save all of them. I have lots of large yardage pieces and cut some to go with the scraps. With scrappy quilts you don't have to worry about trying to match with other colors. Some older pieces don't go with the new colors. So I will use most of the large yardage pieces for backings and cut up to make more scrappies.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Amanda Jean of http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com is just finishing up a series of 101 Scrap projects. She is a serious scrap hoarder. (In a good way.) She posted a ticker tape mini quilt today. I'm working on knitting a rug using salvages and skinny strips- from her book Sunday Morning Quilts.

If you haven't seen string blocks, look them up. I keep anything over 7/8". Too short? sew them end to end until you have a longer string. I string piece on doodle pads, easy to crack off after it's sewn. I really like the string blocks with a certain color in a certain place - adds continuity. Look up the tutorial on herringbone strings. Many free and great ideas out there. I'm really not cheap, I just love my fabric and want to see it as much as possible and in as many ways as possible.
    Judi in Ohio

I cut them up using the Creative Grids Scrap Crazy Ruler. I have 3 categories----kids--patriotic and everything else. Then I make quilts like this using them. Smaller stuff goes into pet beds. I also save 2 1/2 inch strips.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
    Nope..I saveanything. Bigger than an inch and use the pieces for making crumb blocks. Anything smaller goes into dog beds. Fabric is too expensive to waste.
    I am the same I have made many squares out of scraps normaly using a fussy cut piece for the centre

I will never tall how many scraps I have. But will tall you that I have 4 scraper quilt in the stack to be quilted and piles and piles more scraps. I love working with them it makes me fell like I can afford to quilt with the cost of fabric.
    Scrapy quilts have more love in them.

Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    And it's washable.
    It may be washable, but is it dry-able? ? ? That's why I try to make mine stuffed not too tightly. Then dry in the dryer for a while, on the line in the sunshine for a few hours, and back into the dryer for another spin. You want to get it quite dry even in the center. The pieces need to fluff up.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Of course it's dryable. Everything I take out of my washer gets a good fluff before it goes into the dryer. I don't have a clothes line. I don't just pull things out of the washer and throw into the dryer. Less wrinkles and better drying. I don't stuff til it's packed tight. Same reason I don't throw a whole sheet set into the dryer. Bottom then top, vice versa.
    Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    It may be washable, but is it dry-able? ? ? That's why I try to make mine stuffed not too tightly. Then dry in the dryer for a while, on the line in the sunshine for a few hours, and back into the dryer for another spin. You want to get it quite dry even in the center. The pieces need to fluff up.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have a totally separate bin for satins, silks and similar fabric. Those go into Victorian Crazy Quilts.

Members of my quilting group save scraps in small buckets and exchange them at Christmas time -- this is the second or third year we have done this -- so far no one has made anything from them -- I would like to do a quilt with 2inch squares, a sort of bigger version of the postage stamp quilt, with mine -- the exchange gives us a greater variety of scraps -- maybe if I try to cut and sew a good size block a week, I can make some progress!! maybe....
    diane

PaperPrincess is right, Bonnie Hunter makes the most of scraps and her system for cutting is great!

I have bins for several sizes of squares and strips. I also host a Postage Stamp squares swap here on the board, and smallest pieces go into 3.5" crumb blocks. Trimmings are saved for pet beds.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

You are not alone. I do the same. My guild friends now just expect all my work to be of the "scrappy" sort. I started out with two grocery bags of scraps about 4 years ago. My goal was to use them all up. Well,.... I now have more scraps than when I started and have made 20 + quilts most of which are made of scraps. I really believe that fairies enter my house in the deep of the night and using their special weaving tools and several pockets of fairy magic cause my scraps to multiply. I consider it a blessing because I can just keep making quilts upon quilts to give away. Smile and count your blessings. Organizing after the fairies leave is always a challenge. They are such messy little beings.

I cut mine in standard sizes and put them in plastic shoe boxes. But I really and most truly believe that my house is visited each night by fairies who sprinkle my scraps with pockets filled of fairy magic that make my scraps multiply. About 4 years ago I gathered two grocery bags, those big brown paper bags, filled with scraps. My goal was to use them all that summer vacation away from school. Well... I made 20+ scrappy quilts since then and still have just as many scraps as when I started. I consider it a blessing because now I can make more quilts to give away. One of these nights I will catch those fairies and ask them to clean up after their doings. They are such messy little things.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FURBALLS View Post
    I think I am a fabric hoarder. (no, I know that I am) I keep all my scraps. Well, I ended up with 2 boxes of them so I cut what I could into 5" charms, then cut the smaller pieces into hex's and kept the strips that were at least an inch. Everything else has gone into a bag to make cat beds. The strips will be sewn together to make more fabric for a scrap quilt. With prices for fabric I hate to throw anything that can be usable somehow away. Am I the only one who does this?
    I have become a MAJOR fan of Bonnie Hunter...........I have all of her books, and try, as best one that is truly a disorganized person by nature can, to follow her lead with regard to scraps. I treated myself to an AccuQuilt Studio this year (when it was on a major sale)...and use that to cut my scraps up into usable pieces. I also follow her advise regarding leaders and enders - I no longer have that scrap that is full of thread and thrown away........I now start and end my piecing with pieces from my cut scraps, sewing 2 squares or 2 triangles together when I start and end..........it is truly amazing how quickly you can get enough 4 patches or 9 patches, or half square triangle units to make a quilt top! Time that would otherwise have been wasted............

Power Poster
    I'm afraid I have more scraps than ideas and time to make scrap quilts, but I read with interest those who use the scraps to make dog beds, great idea. My daughter has a friend who is a Vet and maybe I'll talk to her to see if they could use beds like that in their clinic.

This is what I make with my scraps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have many uses for scraps. My favorite type of quilting is appliqué . I love using a fabric cutter using various scraps to create a new quilt. There are many scrap quilting books. Right now my scrap pile needs replenishing !

I use scraps mostly for applique, I do some paper piecing babies quilting.

I save all mine and use them in fabric landscapes for wall hangings and applique work I love to do. Someday I hope to make a scrap quilt. I am just starting a table runner for DD from scraps I used making her a quilt she uses as a wall quilt several years ago.

Blog Entries
    don't think so! There are some amazing quilts out there made of the teeniest scraps! Have fun!!!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

I just sew them together once I have a bunch. I call it my recycled fabric yardage. Than I cut in 6 or 8 in squares. Than turnthem into quilts for my charity work.

I keep mine. I just made a doll house quilt from the scraps from a table runner. I try not to keep anything under 2.5", but I've made some quilts from 2" strips, and I've cut some 1.5" squares, which I'd be willing to part with. Mostly I don't cut them unless the scraps are down near the size of a 2.5" square I started a strip quilt. Haven't gotten far with it, but I haven't felt well lately either. Time to get back into some quilting.
    Sue Wilson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast