Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with your scraps? >

What do you do with your scraps?

What do you do with your scraps?

Old 12-31-2014, 06:31 PM

I just made a mini quilt for my Mom -- it contained scraps from my Women of Courage quilt. I usually don't have really small scraps but I do keep most of the leftovers from finished quilts. The scraps make great applique pieces!
Old 12-31-2014, 07:28 PM

Those kilt scrap pillows are wonderful!
Old 12-31-2014, 08:06 PM

Looks like I am a collector of even these small scraps. As I have been "organizing" once again, I see I have numerous bags/baskets/box of small scraps. From the look of things, I collect and don't use.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:35 PM

I pitch them. If it is narrower than a 2 1/2 inch strip or smaller than a 5 x5 block it goes. I don't have room to store a bunch of cut up slivers of fabric on the off chance that I will need it again. Not only that, I buy most of my fabric at thrift stores or discount stores like Hancock fabrics or Joann fabrics. I don't offer them for the cost of postage because I figure nobody wants lower end fabrics or fabrics of unknown origin.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:54 PM
Power Poster

I save mine....and even buy bags of other peoples. Keeps me occupied.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:00 PM

I have sent away more scraps - at one time I spent over $80.00 sending scraps to a fellow QB member and before that I sent out at least 3 other fairly large boxes. And still there appears to be no dent in the amount of fabric that remains behind. My friend wanted to make a scrappy Christmas quilt so I let her pull from my collection of over 200 fabrics. She still had to buy the batting and backing but had enough to make a queen size patchwork quilt and it wasn't even noticed.

Someone on this board said they threw their scraps into a large plastic jar and it was kind of a pretty item in the sewing room and very functional. So I went to Costco, got the huge plastic jar of pretzels and when empty started filling it with scraps. That was so great - until it became full. Some day I need to learn how to use my scraps. I have an Accuquilt Go and I have the ability to cut the scraps into uniform pieces, just not sure what I will do with them once I do.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:14 PM

Sheilz, Luvstoquilt301, and Purplefiend - LOVELY quilts! :-)
Old 01-01-2015, 03:20 AM

I also am a fan of Bonnie Hunters system and use all of my fabrics but I am also a Project Linus Coordinator here in the UK and make a lot of quilts out of scraps for them. At any shows that PL attends they sell donated scraps at a £1 or so a bag and they always sell out, so if you don't want to use your scraps please remember Project Linus and contact your nearest chapter: http://www.projectlinus.org/volunteer/

These are just a few of "scrappy" quilts I made and the children loved them, one nurse told me they are super for playing "I spy" with
Attached Thumbnails crumbquiltforplbyjoan.jpg   joansscrappyquiltforpl.jpg   scrappystripquiltbyjoan.jpg  
Old 01-01-2015, 03:22 AM

Quilting buddies & I have been doing some ITH embroidery projects which are made from our scrap bags. I've made 3 Cat pincushions, Several Cat mug rugs and an Owl coaster over the last two weeks. We've had so much fun making these.
I have also been doing pieces for a floral tissue box cover. The pieces for this aren't huge so have been able to use an half yard from my scraps. Any pieces that are too small I save for a friend who makes dog beds for the RSPCA.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:28 AM

I'm definitely a "fabric hoarder". I save all scraps and occasionally my cousin gives me hers too since I fuss at her if I catch her throwing any away. Fabric is just too precious to throw out.