Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What do you do with your uglies/unusables?

My guild gets donations of all kinds of fabrics, good quality cotton fabrics are added to the guild's stash and other fabrics set aside or donated to other groups. I pick out thin light colored fabrics to use as foundations for string blocks, ugly but good cottons are for dog beds for local shelter. Like the idea I saw here of cutting up the really thin stuff into 2" squares and using the square to stuff the animal beds.

Make rag rugs or donate the thin stuff to some one who does. As for the ugly stuff look at Bonnie Hunter's website, http://quiltville.com/ The free scrap paaterns are further down on the page on the right. She manages to take all kinds of uglies making some of the most beautiful quilts.
    Last edited by Annaquilts; 06-16-2012 at 05:36 AM.
    Anna Quilts

turn it over. Sometimes the so called wrong side isn't bad.

I've sorted through some of mine and I think I'll make some pinwheels. Need to get something light to go with them.
    Nana Jan
    Friendships are gifts from God that should be cherished and nourished

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by donnalynett View Post
    Our quilt group only does donation quilts and other needed items. We have started making animal beds for the local animal shelter and with unusable fabric we use a rotary cutter and cut the fabric into small pieces no larger than 2x2". We then make a pillowcase and make three lengthwise seams and use the cut fabric to fill them. Then seam across the end and you have a nice pet bed.
    that's a great idea!! I've been trying to figure out the best size for pet beds. There's a doxie rescue (where I got my doxie last October) and wanted to do something for them. This size would be perfect for doxie beds.

Only suggestion I have for anyone doing this -- let the shelter know the beds have cut up fabric. Some dogs chew (and eat) anything so you don't want to hurt any of the animals. This was suggested to me by a rescue group.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

I agree. I would use it for dog and cat beds and foundations for string quilts. This is how iI reuse my worn out sheets. If nothing else I tear into strips and use it for stuffing the beds

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
    Our quilt guild did an ugly quilt challenge this year. Everyone brought a yard of ugly fabric. Then we played musical chairs with it. You kept passing the fabric to the next person until the music shut off. Then you ripped the piece you had in half. You keep half and when the music starts you begin passing the other half again. We got down to a fairly small piece. The challenge was then to make a wall hanging approximately 36" square using only one other fabric and all the pieces you received on the front of the wall hanging in a big enough piece to recognize what it was. Once You set your mind to it, it was a fun challenge.

That sounds like fun!!!! I may have to think of that sometime for our church quilting group!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Blog Entries
    Those shoddy fabrics may make a great braided run or two, and don't look at the print on a fabric so much as the color if you are going to use it in a quilt. The color is far more important than the print on the fabric. So, if you have some good fabrics in the lot that are unappealing to you because of the print, just sort them by color, make your quilt and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. From the less than desirable fabric you can make things that don't get a lot of washing such as Christmas tree skirts, doll quilts, Christmas stockings, wall art and of course, you can make dog beds. The humane shelter will appreciate it a LOT. Good luck!

Here's a cool youtube video from Marily Pipe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Qrh6dtSgc
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

I do the same. Rather then buy muslin, or other fabric for foundations, I use scraps of all rejected material and even old sheets cut to size. We need to recycle.
    Gigi

Wow these are very creative. Thanks for sharing.

I like the idea of animal beds or blankets. If the fabric seems really thin, use two layers to give it more stability. They will probably get a lot of washings.

Blog Entries
    This is a cool thread. Lots of great ideas. I use my really uglies for string piecing
    We would worry less about what others think of us if we realized how seldom they do.

Blog Entries
    Some U fabric makes fabulous one block wonders and also string quilts and spider webs. I think the list is endless. Look on QB pic archive and see what you can imagine your fabric can become.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Quote Originally Posted by Hulalulu View Post
    Google Marilyn Pipe handbags.....they are cute and ugly won't matter....another project anyone?
    Looks like fun making these handbags! ... looking forward to try this technique! Thanks for sharing this resource.

I've been making some dog and cat beds for our local SPCA out of ugly corduroy I've had for years -- I sandwiched in some worn out blankets to make them a little thicker and warmer. Have 8 done -- hope to get about 20 completed for delivery soon. Great way to use up fabric you don't like!

If you ever make quilted throw pillows, you'll need some sort of crappy fabric to act as backing for both sides that face outward. Pillows are also a great way to use up scrap batting.
    http://trenbeathranch.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greenheron View Post
    In our area, woven rag rug makers use this type of material. Are there any where you live? Also toothbrush rugs or crocheted rugs.
    What are toothbrush rugs?
    Happy quilting Grandma

Blog Entries
    I love using Bonnie K. Hunter's books and patterns. I have developed the habit of cutting all my scraps (you know the ones that aren't used on the back of the quilt) into 1.5, 2 and 2.5 inch squares to use in scrappy quilts. My stash is growing smaller since the leftovers for my quilts don't get "filed" away - they are cut up for the next project. It's amazing how quickly 3,000 2" squares can become a quilt when you don't have to cut them all up at the same time.

I agree with using them to make quilts for the Humane Society - I only use good quality fabric for people quilts and ugly does get better when it is cut smaller.

Unfortunately, some pretty charity quilts get sold by the recipients for drug money. Some of the shelters in our area specifically ask for quilts made of ugly materials for exactly this reason. Our guild has a prison sewing group where non gang member colors and other not so pretty materials can be sewn into usable quilts for charity. This program which rewards good behavior on the part of the inmates is hugely popular and highly successful in our local low to medium risk prison.

So, when unsure about the material, donate it to someone else to use! It will get a good home and a thankful owner!

Isn't this how the Hoffmann Challenge started? I think I read a story about someone at Quilt Market having some ugly fabric & somebody else challenged them to make something with it before the next Market & that's how that Challenge was born. That's a neat idea, I think.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Ruth View Post
    What are toothbrush rugs?
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5636556_make...rush-rugs.html
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maxnme01 View Post
    Here's a cool youtube video from Marily Pipe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Qrh6dtSgc

That video just went into my favorites. So cool. Thank you.

I like the idea of the foundation for string quilts...I make a lot of scrappies, and I do cut the "uglies" way down to nothing.

Blog Entries
    I make Arrowhead blocks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2