Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you keep by your sewing machine? >

What do you keep by your sewing machine?

What do you keep by your sewing machine?

Old 10-15-2009, 03:33 AM

Everything> My sewing room is so samll I bearly have room to moveAll I have to do is sit down and move my chair in any direction to get anything. But I do need to get up an iron.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:08 AM

Hey, Michigan! I have shoe boxes full of fabric - color separated, I have a couple of baskets where I keep my scissors, seam ripper (the most important tool). I keep my rotary cutters in an old glasses case that was my husband's (he has a new one), I have a antique commode where I keep my Sidewinder, my Quilters FabriCalc, spray starch and other stuff that I don't use as often. On top of that is a table ironing board where I do my seam-y stuff, a reguar sized ironing board where I keep my sewing machine (on occasion I will raise it up and actually do my ironing on it) and a small table where I do my cutting and on that table I have a goose neck lamp, a cd player (I listen to audio books when I work) and when a block is all cut out, I set it on the table and work from there to the "ironing board" where the sewing machine. I also have my computer within inches of my table, and whenever I hear the beep I check it out and nine chances out of ten it is from all of you super nice people. Also, I like to keep a little space for a once in a while glass of wine to enjoy looking out the window and seeing the birds at the feeder and the people passing by. We live on the top of a 13 step bank and I feel like the sheep dog sitting on the edge watching the world go by and protecting our domain. I love my little world here. Edie
Old 10-15-2009, 04:40 AM

I have my sand filled pin cushion that also holds my tools underneath it w/the ends sticking out...which are...a nut picker(my stylus) and my acrylic paint brush w/real camel hair (my lint collector!)and a small pair of scissors...then behind it I have 2 small cases of filled bobbins...that is it;)Skeat
Old 10-15-2009, 10:13 AM

I keep a bowl of soft candies, bottle of water, my favorite little nipper scissors and of course my seam ripper. The most important items are a little note book of paper and a pen.....sticky notes to put on patterns as they are being worked on a dn it never fails I'll be making something and think of other things I want to make for other people and of course those random non sewoing things I jot down so i don't forget to do them when I get up from sewing. :lol:
Old 10-15-2009, 11:55 AM

I keep way too much next to my machine. My machine sits on an student desk that has 3 drawers on the left. Threads and bobbins in one drawer. Needles, fabric marking pens, snaps, safety pins in another. The third just holds stuff. To the right is my pin cushion, thread snips and my seam ripper (the one I've had forever-maybe 30 years-the cover is broken and I know it isn't very sharp anymore but it fits my hand sew well!!) I also have a few "leader/ender" strips handy. My machine sits under a small window that faces east, the ledge holds a mug for extra scissors, small quilt patterns I don't want to misplace, a small jar for thread snips and another pin cushion with needles for hand sewing. Scrap paper for taking notes and doing simple math when making quilts.
See, I told you there was way too much. I just want it all to be close to me. I like my stuff!!!
Old 10-15-2009, 12:36 PM

Don't you just love the east window for your sewing machine. I have the bird feeders out there and they are going nutso! The leaves are changing a lot here. The birch leaves are turning gold and are coming down, some of the oak and maple and basswood are getting ready to shed their leaves too. It's just fun to sit and sew and look up every now and again.

OK, back to my Friendship Scrap block. I've been working on it for three days now. Edie
Old 02-01-2011, 01:20 PM

I keep several catch-alls for all my thread ends. If I don't, I end up looking like a walking ball of thread confetti; I make a little pouch out of material and put boning at the top of the pouch to make it stay open. that way, I don't have to f orce anything in,
Old 02-01-2011, 04:22 PM

I have a smaller desk sized table next to my sewing table so it is a L-shaped sewing surface. On the small table I have a long Tupperware cake pan that holds all my scissors,threads,pins, everything I need so that I won't have to get up and down.I use that kind so I can close the lid down real good at the end of the day and my cats won't get nosy and get hurt. Then there's always a cup of hot coffee and a bowl of M&Ms. Coffee,chocolate,and quilting. It makes for a good day.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:38 PM

little vacuum for threads! I got it free with my Oreck, and LOVE it! Makes clean up easy. Especially after crumb crazy blocks and all the trimming.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
I use lots of little things while sewing and like to keep them handy. I found a flatware caddy at Target awhile back and turned it into a Sew Tote! It works well for me. I put some foamular in the bottoms of some of the areas to elevate them, and then some crafter's foam rubber to protect the tips of the scissors.

I've got multiple scissors, rotary cutters, and even two spray bottles in there, and MOST important, the Seam Rippers! I also made the little pin cushion which buttons onto the end.
I LOVE this! What a great idea! Oooo I will now be on the look out!