Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you like about binding?

Blog Entries
    I recently started using the double-mitered binding method (posted a tutorial) and it makes binding so much cleaner for me. I don't have to deal with yards and yards of binding - only the length (plus a little) per side. I only sew one side on at a time. It is relatively easy to sew the mitered cap into the corners and once the miter covers the corner, sewing the binding on the back is a breeze.

Kids quilts I even sew on the back with the same method and then I sew the binding by machine using a decorative stitch.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Quote Originally Posted by phranny View Post
    I agree with katei, the hand sewing is soooo relaxing. I like to save it for the evenings when my hubby is home, to work on it while watching the news or whatever. I like pulling the pins and seeing how much progress I have made, I know, kinda silly. Use a pretty piece of fabric to bind, then seeing that narrow strip of lovely fabric all neatly stitched and tacked down, just finishes it off so nicely.
    That's exactly how I feel! I just finished hand sewing the binding on a quilt last night & was so sad (tho super glad that that particular quilt was DONE). I love making my binding strips, I like sewing them on the front, I love basting the binding down & I love hand sewing it. It's so mindless & soothing. I especially like to do it while I watch football or hockey.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I like binding. I sew mine to the back of the quilt and then I machine sew it to the front with a pretty stitch from my sewing machine.
    I love to try new things such as Faux Piping Binding. Here's a great tutorial http://tlcstitches.blogspot.com/2010...-tutorial.html. And I also like two color binding and here's a great site for that http://scrapsbystephanie.blogspot.co...-tutorial.html

Enjoy the process. It really is fun!

I hate binding. I force myself to make the binding before the last of the top is pieced, that way not trying to locate the fabric at a later time. Several years ago, started to sew the binding on with a walking foot and it made an enormous difference.

I enjoy the hand sewing and the feeling of knowing the quilt is now complete. Have even been known to do the hand sewing on friends' bindings because I enjoy it and have the time.

I enjoy binding, as strange as that sounds. I also enjoy piecing. It's the sandwiching and quilting, I could do without.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

I find the binding process to be relaxing and also enjoyable. Don't mind it at all. It's the lovely finishing touch to the quilt that makes the quilt so "finished" and pretty but also durable.

Blog Entries
    I don't enjoy it, but I've used the backing instead, too. I like the way that looks and that's how Mammaw did it, so it works for me!
    You can have any design you want. As long as it's loops!

until i came to qb i hadn't given binding any real thought. i get so damned excited when, after what is usually a year or more of working on a quilt i'm finally at binding...well WHOOOOEEEEE!

it just never bothered me. not making it, sewing it, handstitching....it just meant i was almost done.

then add the cross stitch label and the world's slowest quilter adds another finished project to the growing pile!

aileen

except i never know if i have enough binding fabric. i hate that part. so far so good, but my last one was a close call. too close for my comfort by half and more.

aileen

What is it about binding that you do not like - the hand sewing or ????

I have to admit that I put my binding on backwards - sew on the back and bring it around to the front and then machine sew it down. Quick and easy and will withstand all sorts of rough treatment.

Vat
    I love binding because it is the last step to having the quilt finished. I developed a new type of binding stitch about a year and a half ago and it looks so good. I have a finished 1/4" on both sides, front and back. And a full binding to boot. I put the bindings on the quilts and then fold it and put it in one of my many bags, along with my needle , thread , and magnifiers. Then when I am going anywhere like the doctors office, dentist or any appointment where I am going to have a wait I have something to work on while waiting. No down time, even riding in the car.

Blog Entries
    I never did like binding either until I took a class from Cody Mazarun from her book A fine Finish made binding easier
    and now it is my favorite part as I am getting something finished I think there are probably other books out there but A fine finish is very good

I like binding. I use hair clips (the kind that you flex to open and close) to hold it in place while I hand stitch. My parents and inlaws each live about 4 hours away, so I enjoy stitching in the car. If we don't have a long car ride planned, I like to stitch while watching TV with DH in the evening after the little ones are in bed. There is very little on television that requires your full attention.

Quote Originally Posted by phranny View Post
    I agree with katei, the hand sewing is soooo relaxing. I like to save it for the evenings when my hubby is home, to work on it while watching the news or whatever. I like pulling the pins and seeing how much progress I have made, I know, kinda silly. Use a pretty piece of fabric to bind, then seeing that narrow strip of lovely fabric all neatly stitched and tacked down, just finishes it off so nicely.
    This is exactly how I feel, too. Mostly, I think "hand" is a four-letter word, except for the binding. I like the feel of the quilt in my lap while I sew; I like the feel of the needle in my hand, and having something that I can do in the recliner besides eat! There's just something about finishing the quilt by hand that connects me to it more than the machine. But I don't think we can convey what we feel enough to make you want to do it, if you not inclined to.
    Last edited by quiltmom04; 08-24-2012 at 04:35 AM.

I honestly like the hand work. It is soothing for me because it is a return to my first sewing skills of embroidery that I learned oh, so many years ago. The binding gives a finished look to the quilt and then I can set the quilt aside and move on to my next project. Yippee!

You won't like this but what I like about binding is beeing done.
    Anna Quilts

What do I like about binding? When it's DONE! lol

I like to do the binding, it goes pretty fast and it is much more relaxing for me. I don't have to worry about seams matching etc. Plus you can do it anywhere.

Like several have said, I enjoy binding because I know it's the last step and my quilt will be finished, so I'm eager to get started. I also enjoy the hand stitching. It's very theraputic and since I don't do much hand quilting, except for an occasional embroidery project binding is the only handwork I have. I've never tried the glass of wine with it -- now that's an idea!

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=MadQuilter;5462401]I recently started using the double-mitered binding method (posted a tutorial) and it makes binding so much cleaner for me. I don't have to deal with yards and yards of binding - only the length (plus a little) per side. I only sew one side on at a time. It is relatively easy to sew the mitered cap into the corners and once the miter covers the corner, sewing the binding on the back is a breeze.
    Now this sounds interesting. So, should I put in the search engine "double-mitered binding method" and the tutorial will pop up? It sounds like something up my alley!!!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I like to get done. Worst part of the quilt for me to do. BUT when it is done, Yea, on to next projects
    Mona Marie
    I am too Blessed to be stressed and too Anointed to be disappointed

Binding is the only real handwork that I do and I enjoy it because I can sit in front of the TV and relax while I do it.
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

I LOVE putting the binding on. It's the finishing touch. And I have come to REALLY LOVE putting the ends together. First I press a triangle at the beginning. Starch this and maybe pin it, too. I start sewing it on leaving a loose tail 8 - 10 inches. After you have a few inches sewn, put a pin in the quilt 8 - 10 inches beyond the beginning of the binding. That would be 16 - 20 inches from the place you started sewing. That is where you will stop when you get around the quilt. Then I pin down the binding exactly as I want it when it is sewn. I usually stretch a binding just a little. That prevents the edge of the quilt from becoming wavy. Then lay the ends one over the other, with pressed triangle on the bottom. Cut the other end EXACTLY at the bottom of the triangle. You will have the two layers overlapped exactly as far as the binding is wide. Take out all the pins, open the triangle and open out binding. Place ends right sides together, and twist so that the binding pieces are at right angles. Sew across the ends on that fold you pressed in at the beginning. If the fold is going from top to bottom, just twist it the other way. The seam has to go from side to side. Now snap open the binding to see if it fits. Then open that last seam and finger press. (It's kind of hard to press with the iron here unless you have one of those little things.) Then cut off the triangles of the seam allowance and continue sewing down the last bit of binding to your quilt. You will never be able to tell which binding seam is your last one this way. I find it very exciting to see how nicely this finishes up my quilt. HAPPY BINDING!

Quote Originally Posted by katei View Post
    I love the binding stage 'cos it means the quilt is finished. I find sewing on binding really relaxing (especially when accompanied by a glass of red! I always add the binding to the front of the quilt by machine and then relax and hand sew to the back. Go for it and when you see all your lovely finished quilts, you'll be hooked.
    Me too! Also, it gives me something constructive to do when DH wants me to keep him company in front of the TV. He gets my attention and I still get to sew.
    Shirley in Arizona

Just like we ice a favorite cake or put on our wonderful, flattering makeup before we start out the door, the binding finishes the quilt. I like it, because, as others have said, it is the finishing touch before we move on to another lovely quilt.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast