Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you like about binding? >

What do you like about binding?

What do you like about binding?

Old 08-24-2012, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
My favorite thing about binding is watching old movies. I line up a few in Netflix, set up a comfy corner on the couch, with my needles, thread, scissors, and a glass of wine on the end table, and go to town. I have a sip of wine every time I start a new thread. I have a grand ol' time binding. *hic*.
I do the same, but watch recorded sports or shows. I'll have to remember the part about pacing the wine with the threads as I sometimes get ahead with the wine.

I make my own bias binding to coordinate with the quilt and just love watching it "finish" as I go.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:34 AM

Can you get with some quilting buddies and have a goal to make the binding? Friends make any work easier.My LQS have Fun Days where anyone can meet and sew. Binding would be a perfect project to make while talking and laughing with others. At least with binding I don't have to understand a pattern, make sure my points match and sew the perfect 1/4 inch seam!! Now it is easy, right??? Dianne
Old 08-24-2012, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
Just like we ice a favorite cake or put on our wonderful, flattering makeup before we start out the door, the binding finishes the quilt. I like it, because, as others have said, it is the finishing touch before we move on to another lovely quilt.
I hate putting on makeup . . . and avoid it, whenever possible.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:41 AM

nothing i hate binding i wish there was someone i could just pay to bind all my quilts theyd definately be my new best friend. i hate the trimming the pinning i hate the whole process.
carla m
Old 08-24-2012, 06:53 AM

I enjoy binding. I know that's the last step in that quilt's journey. I, also, sew the binding to the front and handstitch the back. There is something so calming about the rythm of hand sewing.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:54 AM

I also sew my binding to the front and then hand stitch it to the back while watching TV or traveling in the car. I can't just sit and watch TV, so this gives me something productive to do. I like the fact that hand stitching the binding on is a "no brainer" thing to do.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:03 AM

The thought of binding scares me

And that must be why I have only been making RAG QUILTS .... no finishing, quick & easy and FUN to make HOWEVER, binding IS on my list of things to learn!!!

jody
Old 08-24-2012, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by katei View Post
I love the binding stage 'cos it means the quilt is finished. I find sewing on binding really relaxing (especially when accompanied by a glass of red! I always add the binding to the front of the quilt by machine and then relax and hand sew to the back. Go for it and when you see all your lovely finished quilts, you'll be hooked.
Me too!
Old 08-24-2012, 08:08 AM

I treat the binding process as a sort of meditation. I think about the person who will be using the quilt. If it will be a new baby or a young child, I think about a pleasant future for that child, and if it's an older person, I call up pleasant memories and feelings, wishing for the same for that person. Once I started doing that, my attitude about binding improved immensely!
Old 08-24-2012, 08:19 AM

My sister liked to sit and sew. She could not sit at the machine very long, and could not manage sewing the binding on large quilts on the machine. So we worlked together on binding. I would sew the binding on mine and hers, and she would sit in her recliner and sew the bindings down! Maybe you could find a partner to do this with.