Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you like about binding? >

What do you like about binding?

What do you like about binding?

Old 08-24-2012, 08:39 AM

I like doing the binding because it means I'm almost done! I sew mine on by machine. The only hand stitching I like to do is cross-stitch, so I do cross-stitch the label.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:58 AM

What do I like about binding? In a word---NOTHING. Hand sewing kills my degenerating wrist joints and completely machine sewn ones aren't that attractive. That's why I wrap my charity quilt backings around to the front and stitch down. That is getting more difficult as the fabric widths are getting skimpier.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:56 AM

I don't really mind doing it, as long as I have time sit and hand sew it on the back. I love doing the lumpless finish/continuous bias and having it come out and fit perfectly!
Old 08-24-2012, 11:01 AM

I agree - hand sewing the binding is like applique - "relaxing" - and can be done sitting with hubby in the evenings ... plus the hard part - cutting, piecing, matching -is done - all that's left is to sit quietly watching TV doing the hand work. When i used to pin the binding on, getting jabbed annoyed me - but since i started using hair clips to hold the binding- it's all good.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

One of the things you mentioned was that you dislike cutting the strips. I would invest in the june Tailor Shape Cutter Pro:
http://www.joann.com/june-tailor-sha...-/xprd1130652/
wait till rulers are on sale and see if you can get a free shipping or use a coupon, wich would make it about the same price as having somone do one binding for you. This ruler will cut a folded piece of fabric (like right off the bolt) and is set up to cut 2 1/2 inch strips. Makes cutting binding a snap.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:59 PM

I love to bind. That is one of my favorite things about quilting. If you want to send me a stack, I will bind them for you. Email me and we can make arrangments if you want.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:02 PM

I like binding because I know when I get there that it's almost done. I do not pin anymore, I went to Dollar Tree and got a package of hair clips for children and use them. They are so nice and no more sticking myself with pins. I always get a movie or some good TV show and sit down in my recliner with my quilt across my lap and sew the binding on. It gives me such a good feeling when the quilt is done and I did it all. Good Luck.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:39 PM

I feel the same way as you, but I do it to complete things. There are many quilters that will do it for a fee. Would that help you?
Old 08-24-2012, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

I love cutting the strips, matching the seams, laying it out to be sure no seams end up in corners, sewing the first side while handling the quilted layers feels so good and then flipping to the back . Then threading ten needles, the candle wax smells so good under a warm iron to get rid of the excess wax. Nice and stiff, no knoting or curling. Stitch by stitch around the edge. Time slows down a rythm begins and shoulders relax. wonderful reflective time.

peace
Old 08-24-2012, 04:27 PM

I use a straw needle when I bind. Sometimes I bend them..but I get a nice small stitch. Maybe you can find a friend who does not like cutting (or some other task you don't mind) but DOES like to bind? You could trade tasks you hate. If you lived in AZ, I would trade you! I love to bind!