Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you look for in a quilt shop >

What do you look for in a quilt shop

What do you look for in a quilt shop

Old 10-27-2011, 07:01 AM

Can't imagine a NEW shop having fabrics that are 15-20 years old ... must be from her own stash ?? Does she want to have a quilt shop or an ANTIQUES shop ?? Quilters want to see the latest and greatest, not dusty old relics ...
A good shop won't have fabrics more than 1-2 yrs old ... if they do, they shouldn't ! If it doesn't sell well, it needs to go to the bargain bin !
I like to see:
Friendly, helpful, experienced staff - Good lighting - Quilts & samples to inspire - Fabrics organized by type or groups, not just by color - Seasonal or quarterly sales - A good book and pattern selection - Variety of classes and a classroom big enough to use :)
Old 10-27-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES
Oh and I've asked her about classes. She just doesn't have the time. I offered to teach a couple and she thought it was a great idea, but never mentioned "compensation". uhh, no.

And she didn't know what a bow tuck was! <sob>
She needs to MAKE the time ... if she doesn't offer at least a FEW types of classes & events early on, she probably won't make it !
I haven't seen a SUCCESSFUL LQS yet (other than destination type shops) that didn't offer classes or host project groups. You need the foot traffic !! At least offer sew-ins for local bees and customers.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:44 AM

If she's not up to classes at this time, she could at least have open sewing time to attract people on a weekly basis.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Ed

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
If she's not up to classes at this time, she could at least have open sewing time to attract people on a weekly basis.
I would like that.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:07 PM

ME TOO on the Ben Franklin in Monroe, I taught there in 2001, they have great fabric and nice people.

Originally Posted by luckylindy333
Originally Posted by Grandma58
I find that to be more true of shops selling sewing machines. My local Ben Franklin is more and more appealing all the time and they have great fabric. They can also cut a 1/6 of a yard unlike my local quilt shop who can do 4 1/2" but not 6".

Originally Posted by fixfido
Friendliness is terribly important. I have found that quilt shop owners and staff often come off as having some kind of superiority complex.....almost having a condescending view of customers. It's frustrating and just plain weird, in my opinion. Quilting is not the kind of thing people should have an elitest attitude about!
I love the Ben Franklin store in Monroe, WA! They have a great staff, nice fabric, always getting in new stuff.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:34 AM

Being from a country town ( Bendigo )
we don"t have a great choice of stores, but the one
I go to most often is finally driving me nuts.
My biggest gripes are that the fabrics are squashed in so tight, that most of the time I cant get them out.
And then comes the pricing, yep you guessed it,
the price is put to the back of the wall, and you have to pull them out just to see the price.
NOT HAPPY.