Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you look for in a quilt shop >

What do you look for in a quilt shop

What do you look for in a quilt shop

Old 10-26-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
#1 Friendly Owner and Employees

lots of great fabrics and to have samples showing things made from different patterns

classes (different times of day, evening and Saturdays) to accomodate everyone

purse patterns (have a sample purse made up on display and store the purse patterns inside to buy) makes it easier to find the patterns

time for us to bring in projects and use their classroom to work on projects and visit with other quilters
sounds like a great shop to me!
Old 10-26-2011, 04:47 PM

I want 1) Cleanliness. 2) Someone ready and knowledgeable with my questions. 3) I don't mind a kitty laying somewhere. 4) I want to be acknowledged, but not smothered. BUT ABOVE ALL I want a friendly atmosphere. I have been to some quilt shops that have treated me like I wasn't even there. Not a hi, can I help you with anything, etc. I do not like a place that treats me like I am invisible, if that is the case......chances are my money is going right out the door with me.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:57 PM

The greatest LQS I have ever visited (IMHO) was in a little bitty town. Philomath, OR. I walked in to find a well lit, stylish assortment of fabrics, and very sweet lady at the counter, and a warehouse full of well organized fabric. Since I am on a fixed budget, I always ask where the sale area is. This sweet lady says "Oh, that is next door, in the annex". The next door down the street was her sales annex. Fabric, patterns, and quilts up to 50% off! I want to go back some day.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:38 PM

I look for beautiful display quilts. Always make me want to make that quilt and tweek it alittle to make in mine. I also like a sale area. End of bolts that kind of thing. I like friendly staff but not overbearing.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:51 PM

I want quality material and a knowledgeable staff that's pleasant
Old 10-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Power Poster

I like to be able to look around without someone following me around. They can have all the cameras the want, but let me look freely. lol... I also want someone to be able to answer my questions, and know what they are talking about. Me and my husband have been at some electronic stores before, and I won't mention where, and he ask if they had this certain item, and they said, sorry but we don't have that and never have. Well, we went looking around, and my husband said right here it is.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit
I guess we are very lucky here. We have lovely quilt shops. There are at least 5 within driving and they are great. ONe is BaySide Quilting, it is wonderful.
I have been to Bayside Quilting. It is in a lovely spot, clean, spacious, well-organized, has samples hanging up.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Grandma58
I find that to be more true of shops selling sewing machines. My local Ben Franklin is more and more appealing all the time and they have great fabric. They can also cut a 1/6 of a yard unlike my local quilt shop who can do 4 1/2" but not 6".

Originally Posted by fixfido
Friendliness is terribly important. I have found that quilt shop owners and staff often come off as having some kind of superiority complex.....almost having a condescending view of customers. It's frustrating and just plain weird, in my opinion. Quilting is not the kind of thing people should have an elitest attitude about!
I love the Ben Franklin store in Monroe, WA! They have a great staff, nice fabric, always getting in new stuff.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:05 PM

I only have one "LQS." And I like it, it qualifies for friendliness, they don't follow you around, but offer help if you need it- they know their stock very well-
They have lots of patterns, and lots of fabrics, and lots of display quilts-
The only suggestion I would have is maybe they could offer a little more variety in the fabrics- for instance, they don't carry much Asian fabric, which I love.
They do have a loyalty program, which I also like, and they have a big sale once a year.
I think having a table with marked down fabrics is also a good idea.
They also carry my patterns and display my samples, and are very easy to work with, so really, I have no complaints.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:10 AM

You've seen one JoAnns, you've seen them all. Not complaining about JoAnns but there's not much fun in going from one to the other. There are at least 10 in the greater Chicago area. If I'm trying to find more of the same I might be lucky. If I'm doing the initial search for just the right fabric not much variety to pick from.

However if you're lucky enough to have several individual quilt shops, you can enjoy the differences in fabric that each store leans toward. Each owner has a vision and buys in that grouping. I love that.