Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you make for males? >

What do you make for males?

What do you make for males?

Old 06-22-2010, 09:27 AM

Year before last everyone got fleece bathrobes with their favorite team logo on the back. Last year they got team quilts YUK 4 cowboys quilts.This year they have requested foot warmer socks again. Did those 5 years ago and they have worn them out. Men are much easier than woman, because no one usually makes anything for them they really appreciate if its personalized someway. Bought each of my 4 sons beautiful white dress shirts, 3 each, and put their monogram on the cuff. They went wild over those, now everytime they buy shirts, they come to Mom for monogram first.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:42 AM

I made my son a pieced quilt (can't remember which one) but I put leaves and acorn appliques in the borders. I also made him a wall hanging of a moose with it's reflection. It is a McKenna Ryan. When I Skype with him I can see it on his wall.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:59 AM

Several years ago, before my DH quit smoking, he had to go out on the backporch to smoke. When it got cold he asked me to make him a "smoking quilt". I told him that I had heard of smoking jackets but never "smoking quilts". For my son I made him a quilt with several Florida Gator heads around the border as if it was swimming low in the water. For the backing I pieced about 15 t-shirts from his fraternity activities along with scraps of the front fabric. He LOVED it. He even to it to Massachusetts to show his college roommate.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:29 AM

Thanks for all the great ideas for men. That really gets me thinking.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:44 AM

I am in the process of collecting worn jeans for projects for the guys. Grandpa gets a lap robe, Dad a caddy for the arm of his recliner to hold TV guide and remote, etc., for my son in college it is a twin size quilt backed with flannel. The hard part is gathering up all the old levis...all colors and hues work well.
Hope there is something here you can use.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

How about a shave bag for travel?
Old 06-22-2010, 11:30 AM

How about large lap quilts with fabric from their university or favorite sports team.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by bobstassi
On behalf of my people (men) we are easy to please and appreciate something hand made from the heart. A quick and easy gift I've made lots of with rave reviews is fleece blankets. Buy 2 lengths of fleece a print (team colors, hobby print, etc) and a coordinating solid. Sew them together, cut a decorative edge and you have the perfect blanket for watching tv, camping or going to the game. They look great, wash well and if you get them on sale they are relatively inexpressive.
Thanks bobstassi - It's good to get an opinion from one of your sex. You know what you like!
Old 06-22-2010, 11:38 AM

I like to make a BIG quilt. I have easy instructions for what I call a 'guy quilt'. I used denim looking cotton fabric. I've made the same quilt about five times. Always the denim looking fabric with two other fabrics.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:39 AM

Make a quilt .I have made 2 for my son and a carpenter star for my husband. I made it in his favorite blue and scattered some "carpenter fabric " throughout if he is in his recliner his quilt is on him! I made a quilt for my nephew when he went to Iraq he wanted it on his bed before his Mom could get it washed.