Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you say when somesone shows you their project >

what do you say when somesone shows you their project

what do you say when somesone shows you their project

Old 03-01-2011, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by unkin123
I agree with Carrie Jo. I may not like the colors or pattern but someone did and I am don't like to judge their choice. I do wonder about the uneven stitches if they are very uneven. A slight deviation from even is acceptable. The quilt may be by a new quilter or a child.
Or someone with less ability. My daughters f-i-l used to do very fine counted cross stitch. Then he had a stroke. After that he painted t-shirts-lumpy and bumpy but I'm still wearing mine 15 years later. It's the intention that counts.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

I think it depends on the context -

and what the person is trying to accomplish.

Is the person aiming at a purple ribbon at the State Fair?
Is the person just learning how to put two pieces of fabric together for the first time?
Is the person mentally and physically able?

It's always a good thing to start out with something positive - but if the person truly wants to improve, then I think suggestions for how to do that are appropriate.

If the person is just looking for compliments - then I go for the "as honest as I can be without hurting the person's feelings" - which can be quite an exercise at times!
Old 03-01-2011, 11:17 AM

Yeah, go with the niceties.... You can always say, Don't you just LOVE quilting? Even if you don't particularly like what they have there on display.... Make gab and muddy the waters if you have to so as not to let them pick up on your disapproval. After all, it's going home with them!
Old 03-01-2011, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
Kind words are the first comment to make.
Amen! And the second and third, too! :)
Me too.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:56 AM

We never know what the person has gone through to sew a quilt, years ago our church had a quilting circle and I was a beginner, I know they probably picked my stitching out after I left for the day, but they were older ladies(like I am now) and helped me and treated me as if I were one of them and could quilt just like they did. Incouragment (sp) goes a long way, even if we have to fib a little, everybody needs that. Maybe they have cataracts, or parkinson's or nervous condition at least they are trying.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:01 PM

I agree with all the people who have said, "Find something nice to say." Everyone has a different style. I'm an OCD perfectionist, a friend is a "good 'nuf, now git er done" type. She thinks I am nuts, I think she is too sloppy. We humorously agree to silently disagree on each other's quilting styles and get together once a month to sew in harmony...

Life is too short to go around judging others. The person or people who make things that you find unattractive have most likely seen many fabulous quilts in their time, but somehow they are unable or unwilling to produce that same caliber of work. They probably know on some level their stuff isn't up to speed with the pros. Just say something nice, or at least neutral, and move on. You will feel better about yourself at the end of the day.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lv2sew2011
Well, with me being new to quilting, I hope everyone is honest with me, cause Im here to learn and don't mind someone giving me suggestions, other wise how will I learn.
:-)
Construtive Critizim and just plainly blurting out negetive remarks about someones work is not the same thing. If you want someone to let you know how to do something better or a different way that is fine. But there is no reason to hurt someones feelings especially if the person seems to be proud of the work they have done.
This board has grown by leaps and bounds,the ones that are learning,all that person has to do is ask how to do it different or better. You will not see,or I haven't a single person being just plain mean and Ugly. BillsBonBon
Old 03-01-2011, 12:18 PM

Used to tell my children (6 of them), If you can't be kind, be quiet. Best applied to every age.:)
Old 03-01-2011, 12:18 PM

I always find something nice to say. But at the same time I am as honest as I can be so I might make a nice comment about the fabrics in the piece, or the colors that I like. It might be a nice comment about the pattern itself. Maybe its the backing that I can say something nice about. But I always find something nice to say. I sure don't want to say anything that might deter the maker from doing something she/he enjoys.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:20 PM

Use the "does this dress make my butt look big rule".