Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you say when somesone shows you their project >

what do you say when somesone shows you their project

what do you say when somesone shows you their project

Old 03-01-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
It was made with love and thier best skills. after the show my guild put on I am very open to all sorts of piecing and quilting. I hve learned alot about both. Kind words are the first comment to make.
To quote Thumper: "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all" I always try to find the positive in anyone's art. If they don't ask for my help, I probably should not give it.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:52 PM

Kind words are always appreciated by me. I know my quilting and piecing are not up to others standards and I keep working to improve, but . . . When viewing others work I do find something I like. My best quilting friend and I have very different styles, color choices and pattern likes and dislikes. I have learned to appreciate hers and she graciously appreciates mine. Only by the encouragement of others have I found my quilting gene and the comfort of my own expression in quilting.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:52 PM

I try to say something nice about the pattern - ask how long it took to make it - whatever... I'm sure there have been people disappointed in my projects but at least they didn't tell me. :D
Old 03-01-2011, 04:55 PM

If it is the first quilt for this person I would say something like "I admire your persistance in getting it done. What are your plans for the next one"?

If you don't know much about this person's background such as self-taught, might have Parkinson's as mentioned already in post above, I would be very careful and whatever you do don't say anthing negative. Let the person talk more about the quilt and her quilting background and then if it fits in, wait for the opportunity to tell her about an upcoming quilting class at LQS in a way not indicating that she needs to attend but that it would be fun to go to one.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:03 PM

We have a gal in our guild who isn't an accurate piecer and picks fabrics that are a bit dull and flat, but her quilting gives her joy so we love her work as we love her. Sometimes it is difficult to find words of praise when she shows her quilts, but we manage to 'good for you' or 'how nice!' and we clap just the same. Think of the person, not the work?

Originally Posted by Hosta
and it looks ghastly long uneven stitches pieces don't match colors are so ugly or if you go to a craft show and see someone selling their work and it looks so bad you feel bad for them. I have seen some stuff so awful I am surprised it was let into the show. I usually just say oh that's interesting did it take you long to do?
Old 03-01-2011, 05:05 PM
LMB

My Grandmother always told us... "if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all."
Old 03-01-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by gramquilter2
I am one that can always find something good to say about someones work. I was a 4th grade teacher and saw how devastated students were when their art work did not receive one good comment from the show judges. I believe that everyone does the best they can at that point in time. Give a good comment and you will be appreciated for a long time!
I'm with you! I work with high functioning special ed elementary kids. The experts say with kids that one negative comment can wipe out 14 positive ones! I try to give mostly positive feedback (unless discipline for the safety and functionality of the group is required.) Who knows how many negative comments they have had elsewhere?
Old 03-01-2011, 05:10 PM

Kindness will go a long way to encouraging the person to keep on trying and improving with practice, even if all you can manage is to admire one fabric in an entire crazy quilt.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:15 PM

i think i would stick by the rule "if you cant say anything nice, dont say anything at all"
Old 03-01-2011, 05:51 PM

If I don't have a nice thing to say, I just walk on by.