Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you say when you give a gift, and reciepiant says >

what do you say when you give a gift, and reciepiant says

what do you say when you give a gift, and reciepiant says

Old 11-28-2012, 05:35 PM

I had a funny one last week...I was looking at a house that was for sale and the owner said when she heard that I was a quilter, "oh, how quaint!" What do you say to that??? Maybe I look like an antique!
Old 11-28-2012, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Well if they say it looks professional, that 's a compliment and I say "thank-you". If anyone gives me stuff I don't want or need, again I say thank-you and donate it to a charity shop.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:17 PM

I have similar thoughts to bearisgray. I have a good friend for whom I would love to make a quilt. What holds me back is that he has become a hoarder and it appears that everything in his house is just one huge pile of clutter. Somehow, I don't think a quilt would be valued, but I do know that my friendship is.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal View Post
If someone offers me fabric...
I try to figure out if they hope to see it turned into something OR if they just want to pass it on.
Generally, they just want it gone from their house. So, I say "thank you, if I can't find a use for it, I know people that can." That way, I'm not committing to me actually using it. AND, I do find people that want/need it.

As for the "it looks professional"... I would take that as a compliment and leave it at that.
I think this is the best way to handle the fabric issue, if you don't want to outright refuse it. If the term "professional" bugs you, I see nothing wrong with asking - with a grin! - "Do you mean like the mass produced stuff you see in stores?! - I was hoping to do better than that!" If people aren't confronted about their assumptions, they are not going to change, and sadly, a lot of people still have the idea that home sewing of any sort is something people do just to save money, which couldn't be farther from the truth these days.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:08 PM

I understand what you mean. Last week during our Thanksgiving get together I gave one of my relatives a quilt I had made for her. Another relative asked me if I quilted it or had it quilted for me. Implying that if you only do the top you're not a real quilter and therefore it's not a real quilt. I was dumbfounded and somewhat angry.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:31 PM

I once got "oh wow!! Looks like it came from Pottery Barn!" I had to laugh!! I think it was a compliment!!
Old 11-29-2012, 06:41 PM

I had a couple of friends visiting and one asked to see some of my work. I got out this wallhanging and the other one said is that one of those panels you just sew around? I couldn't believe she would say that before looking at it to see it was all pieced and appliqued. Needless to say I won't be showing her any more of my work.
Attached Thumbnails dscf1101-800x620-.jpg  
Old 11-29-2012, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by skowron5 View Post
I had a couple of friends visiting and one asked to see some of my work. I got out this wallhanging and the other one said is that one of those panels you just sew around? I couldn't believe she would say that before looking at it to see it was all pieced and appliqued. Needless to say I won't be showing her any more of my work.
Wow!! This is gorgeous!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by skowron5 View Post
I'm thinking she may have thought it looked to perfect to be pieced.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:06 PM

Now that I have this new passion for quilting I think they are just going to be piling up at my house. I don't have any quilt worthy family or friends. Some of the very best kind hearted people in the world are not quilt worthy.