Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you store your fabric in and would you change it? >

What do you store your fabric in and would you change it?

What do you store your fabric in and would you change it?

Old 03-07-2011, 03:58 PM

Right now I have my fabric stored in three drawer plastic roll around. What I would like to have is a large wood storage unit, with shelves. The fabric would be wrapped around plastic holder, then lined up on the shelves. Of course there needs to be doors on it. I would also have a couple drawers in the bottom to store notions, threads, ect.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:42 PM

Big plastic totes on wheels as they get too heavy to lift once the fabric is in them. I either shove bars of soap or pieces of camphor wood in to keep out the bugs and find a place (somewhere) to put them...
Old 03-07-2011, 04:48 PM

Nice
Old 03-07-2011, 05:53 PM

I'm very flexible with storage!

The majority of my storage is in six-drawer dressers (3 beside 3) so the top is useable and I like to put a 3 shelf bookcase on top. I have 5 dressers (two in sewing room (one has all my most used rulers on top, in a folder stand, the other has two bookcases on it for books, my notebooks, and magazines), one in living room with TV on top, one in dining room which matches the furniture, and I can put a cutting board or an ironing pad on top, and one in my storage room that only holds big enough yardage for backings.). I fold the fabric to fit in the drawers and sort by color. I also keep some rulers, all stencils and less often used notions in the drawers.

I also use plastic, stacking drawers, mostly for FQs. I have another cart of plastic drawers next to my sewing machine and I keep current projects in it, with the needed notions. I have a small set of plastic drawers (table top size) to keep sewing machine needles, bobbins, pins, small scissors, white thread, and eye brow razors (my version of a seam ripper).

I keep all scraps in plastic bags by project, so all left overs smaller than FQs go in the bag, and I keep those in plastic totes.

My dining room hutch has 6 doors with shelves behind them, and in there are my cans of starch, glue sticks, iron, threads, lint rollers, notebooks of patterns, and whatever else can sit on a shelf that's messy looking and needs to be hidden. No fabric.

I am trying to downsize (what a joke!!), so I need to find ways to not need room to store fabric, but to use my current needed furniture as my storage. To that end, I am now using the cabinets above the refridge and the sink! I also am hanging large pieces of fabric in my clothes closet. As I get rid of all my excess serving ware, glass ware, bakeware, and excess linens, I find I have more storage in places that are unconventional and I am getting rid of totes, storage shelving, and things look so much neater and I'm actually more organized.

What I really need is a fabric addict's diet before I really run out of places to store it!

Diane
Old 03-07-2011, 06:05 PM

I had all my fabrics and everything to go with in plastic tubs. It was taking me longer to find anything than it was to make my products. So, my daughter said I need to go to Phoenix and go to IKEA so I did. this is what I have now and the cabinets are 48 inches deep. I love my room now and it is high so I put on one wall in my little room.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-120638.jpe  
Old 03-07-2011, 06:43 PM

Maybe you could make up a chart and color it to show how your fabric is stored.

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by cherylynne
Right now I have my fabric in tubs, but it is hard to see what I've got.
Me too. Mine are in the cabinets and I have to remember where each color is or there is a lot of door-opening until I find the right bin.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Power Poster

I store them in everything possible. Love your room.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by qltncat
I use 2 lateral file cabinets that I picked up when an office closed. They were filled with hanging file folders. I ironed my fabric, folded it lengthwise in half, and wound it around the files, as if they were bolts. I secured the top with long rubber bands. I can "wind" up to 4 yards of cotton fabric and still close the drawers!

This works like a charm. I can see the fabric at a glance, and it stays neatly waiting for me! Since the drawers close, sunlight is not a problem.

For smaller pieces (fat quarters, etc.) I use see-through bins.
That is genius!
Old 03-07-2011, 07:11 PM

I keep mine in a closet in shoe organizers I found on clearance. I used them the right way up and also on their sides. I took out some of the dividers, too. I wrapped the fabric on comic book boards, which was waaay cheaper than sign board.

I have to say, I absolutely love how it turned out! And won't be changing it.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-128427.jpe  
Old 03-07-2011, 07:22 PM

i would store my fabric in all my kitchen cabinets and eat out every night. my entire dining room would become my la quilting frame room and my living room would be the rest of my quilting space (sewing machines, ironing board, cutting table, on and on and on...). one bedroom would be my laundry room so i could do the wash while i sew, and another bedroom would be the tv room for my husband.
the last bedroom would be for reading and naps.

then i would move next door.