Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you take to hand sew in front of TV? >

What do you take to hand sew in front of TV?

What do you take to hand sew in front of TV?

Old 08-02-2014, 06:41 PM

Default What do you take to hand sew in front of TV?

I am making a kit to take as I bind a quilt.
#1 a small container to hold, scissors, thread, small crocheted little book that has a place to attach a needle inside of it. Does anyone have a better idea than this?

I know the small book was not explained very well, I sewed a piece of minky to the inside so it could hold sewing needles etc.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:07 PM

I've been working on a GFG quilt in front of the TV and I have a school pencil box that contains small scissors, two spools of thread, a bobbin box for small amounts of different colored thread, a tiny pin cushion for the needles, a thimble, a seam ripper, a crochet hook to remove the papers (doing it EPP) and a needle threader. I just wish it was big enough to hold the Mag-Eyes as well but I have to use the shoe box for that.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:25 PM

The only hand sewing I do are bindings so i have my wonder clips, needle, thread and scissors.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:41 PM

What does EPP stand for Suzanne57? I guess I'm still a newbie to not understand what that means.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:51 PM
QM
Power Poster

I have a very small drawer next to my TV chair. I have threads, scissors, needles in a little book I made, pins in a small magnetic mechanic's parts tray, binding clips, seam ripper, thimble and Thread Haven. When I am doing embroidery or applique, I have a small bag for those supplies nearby. Thread Haven is one of several products to "condition" thread so it is less likely to tangle. Traditionally, beeswax wax used for this.

It's just a guess, Donna, but I think she is referring to tearing off the papers from paper piecing (PPing). That job also requires a trash container.

My 'on the go' container has an Altoids box with a frig magnet, a few pins and needles. I also have bobbins of the colors I expect to use, thread Haven and scissors. That all fits nicely into a baggie. a block for embroidery or applique fits in there too. For safety, I generally use high end blunt scissors.

Last edited by QM; 08-02-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:55 PM
Power Poster

EPP is English Paper Piecing which is done by handsewing. I cut hex templates using a Fiskars punch while watching tv. When binding I use Wonder Clips, needle, thread, thimble and small scissors and I keep them in this nice little sewing case that stays on my end table.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...tterBuddy.html

Last edited by Onebyone; 08-02-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:52 AM

I made a couch caddy, hangs over the arm of recliner or chair. Most people use them for remote controlls. I made the pockets the way I wanted to, for scissors marking pencils, needles, and a pouch for little snips and threads. It works great!!
Old 08-03-2014, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

I am either working on my latest hex quilt or hand sewing binding to the back of a quilt.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:03 AM

I sew on binding. In addition my requirements are an Ott light and an LED lighted magnifier on a stand to reach my recliner. It's heck getting old! In my bucket list is to do some needle turn appliqué.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:10 AM

When I'm English Paper Piecing, I reuse the hexagons so I do have a little container for thread clippings and scraps of material that I save for doggy beds. The thought of a couple of thousand hexie papers is daunting.