Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think of Crystals on Quilts? >

What do you think of Crystals on Quilts?

What do you think of Crystals on Quilts?

Old 12-23-2010, 02:05 PM

I've noticed the "in" thing now is to put crystals on the fronts and sometimes on the backs of quilts. Not that I do it, but I've seen the artists of many of the winning show quilts are doing this. I assume they're the iron-on crystals? Although I think they've beautiful, how well would these crystals hold up to actual quilt use as in on a bed or couch etc? I'm thinking not very well. Anyone use them and what do you think about the trend in general?
Old 12-23-2010, 02:18 PM

never used them but keepsake has a kit of a christmas tree that you can also buy sworski crystals to add to it. Maybe on a hanging or such. but do not think I would use them on a quilt. my opinion
Old 12-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

I don't know if they would be functional on a quilt that is going to be used, but a lot of them are put on show quilts.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:33 PM

I put them on a wall hanging I did. Only did it once--got very boring after a while. I used glue because I won't wash this one. Wouldn't use them on a quilt that was on a bed--my dog wouldn't appreciate that LOL.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Power Poster

Most of those are hot fix crystals, they stay on pretty well. I don't think I would like them on the back of a quilt, where it could touch the skin :D:D:D
Old 12-23-2010, 03:18 PM

Putting them on the back does put the spotlight on them at shows, but at home maybe one would reverse them on the wall every now and again.

I would think they'd be very scratchy and wouldn't work as utility quilts at all. I remember seeing they're very expensive too.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:22 PM

I think they are for "art" quilts. I've seen some beautiful quilts using crystals at the shows. Mostly for display, I think.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:28 PM

I've got shirts with crystals on them, and they are washed more than a quilt would be. They are holding up just fine.

My quilting guild did a raffle quilt this year that was Christmas trees. I quilted it with lines on the trees, and one of the other girls added crystals along the lines as Christmas lights. It turned out very cute!
Old 12-23-2010, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

my granddaughter's "Ashley's Ocean" quilt has crystals on the front of it...they were the hot-fix crystals and they are in some ...ocean bubbles...it is beautiful...the quilt was made for her 12th birthday...she is 14 now, it has traveled all over the country (military dad) she takes it everywhere, sleeps with it always, drags it to sleep-overs ect. it is a very used quilt...has a curly minkee back on it too...
and not a single crystal has fallen off. :thumbup:
i don't put them on many things though, only when i really think they will add something really special to the quilt. in the 5 years i have had the (tool) i've put them on 3. and only a few here & there.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:41 PM
Banned

The best of show here in jacksonvilles quiltfest in sept. it was covered with crystals.