Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of this for my sewing room?

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Looks nice.

Have you asked/checked on the load capacity of the shelves?

Fabric and books get heavy.

Reason for asking: I bought a bookcase - loaded it with books - and the shelves are sagging.
    I have had that problem in the past, but I bought the white boards that are 1 inch x 2 inch, cut them to fit between the shelves and it serves as support. I place them in the middle of the shelf toward the front. Does not look bad and keeps the shelves from bowing. I have a beautiful studio and will have to figure out how to post pictures.

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Really nice. You must have a big sewing room. It wouldnt fit in mine.

Do not forget to measure the place you want to put that beutiful cupboard in. It would be terrible to get it home and have now where for it to go. If you are lucky not to be near a busy highway like me you can just pack those shelves with fabric and bookd and have no problems with dust.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsk
    If the shelves seem weak at all, you could put a brace in the middle of each one. Just a simple piece of wood (painted white of course) and place them directly above the lower one so the lower one will support the next. It works, I know, because I had to do that to a bookcase that was full (of all things) of books.
    If as burnsk said that the shelves are flimsy get some 1/4'' square tube in metal and have it put around the back and sides of each shelf, this works great, I have 1/2inch on mine because it has a lot more weight on each of the shelves.

It looks like it will be very useful for storage or stash. Besides it is an awesome looking piece of furniture

With these types of containers do not shut them up completely. If you leave them open just a little and let the air in they should be alright. every now and again open them up and let the air in.

Senior Member Keeps Them In Stitches's Avatar
    That is beautiful. What a deal. I can hardly wait to see it with your fabrics, etc. displayed.

What are you waiting for girl? Go fill it up

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I love it. it is beautiful. God bless.

if I buy it, I won't be able to play until I come back from Shipshewana IN and I am embarassed to take a now pic! My room is about 10 x 10 but right now its fill ed with containers of depresion glass and other smalls that we sell, its a real mess. I have to pull the whole room apart, take all that stuff out first and then decide how to store it some place else, oh my, what a job!

Will work out just great and if sturdy enought the price doesn't seem too bad. If you purchase post pics once you're organized. Have fun playing with all that fabric!

wow, fantastic looking piece---it should hold lots of fabric, books and patterns. Please do send pics when you get it and fill it up---congrats :lol:

Power Poster
    Yes. This would look very nice and has lots of open space

I would love to have that, in my sewing room!!! Gorgeous!

where did you find that shelving for that price? I think I need one. it's gorgeous!

Hi everyone, I got the cabinet today, its perfect and very sturdy!!! I will post pics when I get it full! hugs, Lace

I think it would look better in my sewing room. :)

Beautiful! I would love to have it.

My sewing room is a mess as I finish putting up all the books into the shelving units I just got. There are boxes of fabric all over the spare room as I try to get everything back where it belongs.

It's fabulous! I wish I had room to store it in my craft room.. I had to exile my book cases to fit my quilting frame lol. My quilting books are now in the computer room.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingmimipj
    Here's one that came home with me today. The picture is taken at the lady's house where I bought it.

I'm going to pattern my fabric placement after Alaska Sunshine's tutorial here on this board. I love the way she stores hers.
    Congrats on your sewing room addition! I followed the thread you mentioned to Alaska Sunshines storage method, and would like to add a word of caution for you, be aware that light coming into the room from a window has UV which can fade fabrics over time and it WILL! Also DO NOT USE the FLUORESCENT bulbs for anything that will shine on your fabric, again UV (the blue end of the lighting spectrum) will fade fabric, book backs, carpet, etc. I am a retired Interior Designer and for years had a store, I know first hand what daily exposure 9 to 5 from fluorescent bulbs will do and it isnt pretty. Also depending on the amount of open air ventilation you have, dust settling on the fabrics can cause a problem. By the way the same thing goes for closets in newer homes that have fluorescent bulbs in the ceiling for safety, they will fade your clothing, so be sure to swithch them OFF and only use when looking in the closet.
    LOVE your new acquisition! :)

There is my new storge partically full, still more stash to put in, but I thought you all would like to see it now with some fabric in it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks great. There is still room, maybe you have to go shopping?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by earlylace
    There is my new storge partically full, still more stash to put in, but I thought you all would like to see it now with some fabric in it!
    Very nice; but you had better get busy filling it up before I start bringing my stash over to your house. I was just rearranging my floor to ceiling closets and made enough space to put part of my overflow in. I really need to stop shopping. Time to get to sewing.

Blog Entries
    wow, love your new sewing cabinet, thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by earlylace

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast