Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think need to be taught? >

What do you think need to be taught?

What do you think need to be taught?

Old 12-01-2009, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

I would consider taking a class in just FITTING/ALTERING a basic jacket that could then be made "fancy". I would do more than consider - I would take that class!

It would probably need to involve muslin and a very limited class.

I'm not talking a blazer type jacket -

I have a very ample bust and a very ample hip/backside - I actually look rather like those cartoon old ladies with the big rump and droopy boobs - and narrow shoulders - and I'm short.
and I would love to get a very simple jacket to hang as well as it could on me.

There are two kinds of "big" women - those with the large frames and those of us that are "padded" - our shoulders don't seem to get as wide as the rest of us does!
Old 12-01-2009, 07:28 AM
Banned

Sparky, your jacket is stunning! And it is just the thing we are looking for at next year's Home Machine Quilting Show in Salt Lake City. We would love to have you enter this in our quilted garment division of the quilt show. Garment must have three layers, be machine quilted and may have embellishments. Here is a link if you are interested:
http://www.hmqs.org/quilt_competition_entry_info.html
Old 12-01-2009, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Sparky
Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
I'll be there!!! you go, girl!!!
Great, I'm looking forward to meeting you. It will be 10-2 March18,25 and April 8.
I received a private post with your e-mail address but I got a message back saying it was undeliverable. Can you please try again. Since we live so close, it would be fun to meet.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by patty48
I would take any class that would give me a "completed" project. I hate taking a class that I only get part way through and then the class is over. The projects never get done!!!! If the course has to go over a couple of classes that's find with me. I just need a completed project when I'm done the course.
Amen! Also, I took one class that the teacher just kept saying, "and I know that you know how to do that..." Well, guess what! I didn't! I was a newbie! I spoke up several times, but you could tell from the exasperation on her face that she did NOT like questions!
Old 12-01-2009, 08:30 AM

Your jacket is beautiful and totally agree with YTQ. You need to have your samples ready to show them, lesson plans, and costs idea before you go. You might call them ahead of time to make an appointment with the right person.

Good luck.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:33 AM

I just signed up for an "Accidental Landscapes" class. I am a rabid photographer, and I would like to learn to turn my pictures into quilts. I've read tons about it and collected fabrics with a particular picture in mind, but I've been completely intimidated about getting started. I would like to see more of these kinds of classes.

The other class I would like to take is one on free-motion quilting.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:44 PM

One suggestion I would make is to not to overestimate what they ladies who sign up for you class can do. Think about what skills they NEED to have before they get there. After having taught lots of classes, I have experienced students who think you should teach them to use their machine as long as they're attending! Perhaps a quick class or two on rotary skills and basic piecing would be a good "warm up" for the jacket class. Good luck!
Old 12-01-2009, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
One suggestion I would make is to not to overestimate what they ladies who sign up for you class can do. Think about what skills they NEED to have before they get there. After having taught lots of classes, I have experienced students who think you should teach them to use their machine as long as they're attending! Perhaps a quick class or two on rotary skills and basic piecing would be a good "warm up" for the jacket class. Good luck!
Your jacket looks like it requires very advanced skills. Would you be interested in doing a graduated series of classes to get them there?

Or would the would-be students be willing to go over a checklist to make sure they would be able to keep up? (Or at least not whine and/or complain when things got a mite difficult)

We all have to start somewhere - but it isn't fair to the rest of the class it most of them are advanced and one has signed up that is still learning the difference between a scissors and a rotary cutter.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sparky
I was wondering what type of need do you think there is for classroom classes? I enjoy designing and making both art and traditional quilts and clothing. I want to approach a local quilt store and submit an idea for a class, but I don't know where to start.
1. I would like your feedback on your own personal interests.
2. I would like your feedback on the following areas: Part #1 Creating designs to modify an existing jacket pattern. Part#2 Inserting medallions in a jacket using paper piecing techniques.
The photos are of a jacket I made using a pattern, but I thought the short style might not be good.
Your jacket is stunning!
Old 12-01-2009, 04:07 PM

I would love to have help or a class with how to get started making art quilts. I was actually thinking of asking Klue if she knew of a book or two that would help get me started but she is so crazy busy with the upcoming Jane project.
The funny thing is I am artistic, receiving a summer scholarship to the Art Institute of Chicago when I was younger but for some reason I just don't know how to start.