Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think of Paper Piecing? >

What do you think of Paper Piecing?

What do you think of Paper Piecing?

Old 02-04-2018, 10:34 AM

I just bought the fabric this morning to make a paper pieced heart quilt for a Valentine gift. I've been watching YouTube today to figure out how to paper piece. Looks like a lot of work. That ROSE QUILT is now on my To Make list! Beautiful!
Old 02-04-2018, 11:58 AM

I love paper piecing, the thing I love most is how precise your blocks turn out. The only ruler I use for paper piecing is an Add-a-quarter ruler for trimming. A friend (who owned a quilt shop) came to a mini-guild meeting and showed us how to do it - the project was a small 5x5 inch block which I then added a border to and use as a pot holder. I find classes to be rather expensive, I’d rather spend the money on fabric. But I do love to try new techniques. I have a good collection of books and magazines so I can always find something new to try. Joining a guild is also a great way to improve your quilting skills.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]588436[/ATTACH]
My first paper pieced quilt

[ATTACH=CONFIG]588437[/ATTACH]

Any block can be converted to a paper pieced block - like this log cabin baby quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]588438[/ATTACH]

This is about 6x6”. I’m not sure I could have achieved the sharp points if I hadn’t paper pieced it.
Attached Thumbnails 7c84452a-6cfe-4964-b76e-1cece058b5b2.jpeg   37d33107-54ce-477e-bad2-c025462c23d2.jpeg   728193fd-65fa-4b6d-b614-7a8808d7f09b.jpeg  
Old 02-06-2018, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
here is the Rose pattern - but be careful, this seller has a lot of neat patterns!

https://www.etsystudio.com/listing/6...ock-rose-quilt

I googled Paper Pieced Rose - and, wow! found a bunch of designs I'd love to try!
Thank you for the warning! I most likely will not heed it, though!
Old 02-06-2018, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

OhCanada- Your work is spectacular!!!! Wow, I can't believe your first one. They are fab!
Old 02-06-2018, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I agree with Geri B. PP (not English PP which is done by hand but foundation PP) seems a bit complicated and fussy for one's first exposure to quilting. $30 for a pattern seems very expensive as well, unless all the pre printed papers were included. And I'm not one for specialty rulers but if the class was geared to using it, the rest of the participants would be held up while the instructor tried to show someone how to achieve the same effect with a regular ruler.

all that said, I do love PP. I do precut shapes but not the way Judy N. teaches. The biggest downfall to most beginner PP is not having the fabric piece big enough for a specific shape, especially when it is an odd angle. I rough cut my angles from strips and have had amazing success doing it that way. Although I do have some waste I have fine tuned it to be minimal.

Here are examples of PP quilts I have made:
This is Agave Garden, a Judy Niemeyer pattern
[ATTACH=CONFIG]587993[/ATTACH]

This is Saw Tooth Cats by City Stitcher
[ATTACH=CONFIG]587994[/ATTACH]

And this is a Mariners Compass I designed myself using instructions from Judy Mathieson on how to draft MC blocks and do a different technique of PP using freezer paper and not stitching through the paper.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]587995[/ATTACH]
WOW!! Amazing work and no doubt you FMQ cuz I've seen your work up close and personal. These are phenomenal..geesh!
Old 02-06-2018, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
I made it home from work let me see if I can find pics of some of my PP, my avatar is one.

These are just a few I have in the computer. The picture ones I purchased or used a free pattern from designers. The non pictures I made the pattern (though sometimes from pictures)
gorgeous, Kassandra...

hey all... If you have not seen Kassandra's blocks in the Boom, go lurk. They are stunning. Jus saying..

All of the quilts shown are breathtaking. So much talent and artistry...In awe...
Old 02-10-2018, 07:10 AM

OMG.. you ladies as so talented. I love each and every quilt that is posted. I hope to be as good as you ladies are. I also like all the helpful tips I have gotten. I am going to work on my Goldies Fish quilt slowly. Right now I have to make a receiving blanket and a quilted table cover by next Thursday. lol. Today I am going to a place called the Quilting Barn, this lady had made over 450 quilts and they are all on display. She also sells fabric etc. I have made a few 10 minute runners for Christmas gifts last year. Those were fun and easy. I just started to so again after 30 years. Please keep posting your pictures of your projects.

Last edited by Angel from NY; 02-10-2018 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

I took the time to learn how to PP when I wanted to do the blocks in the Farmer's Wife 1930's book. I went through the whole book of blocks and by the time I had finished PP was no big deal anymore. Now I am doing the FW Pony Club blocks.

That being said, PP is not my favorite technique. I'd much rather cut the exact size pieces I need and sew them together (traditional piecing).