Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think of Paper Piecing? >

What do you think of Paper Piecing?

What do you think of Paper Piecing?

Old 01-30-2018, 04:21 AM

Paper piecing definitely lends itself to some beautiful blocks as you have seen in the posts here on this thread. I have not done a whole lot of PP but I agree that it does get a little easier the more you do it. I don’t hate it...It’s sort of like doing a puzzle.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:07 AM

I tried PP numerous times and gave up until I found the Peggy Martin class on Craftsy. She teaches Strip Cut PP and it completely makes sense to me. With this method you never have to wonder if you have covered your edges and you can do a number of blocks at a time.
Here are a few things I've done using this technique.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]588068[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]588069[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]588070[/ATTACH]

Watson
Attached Thumbnails star.jpg   ny1small.jpg   ny2small.jpg  
Old 01-30-2018, 06:53 AM

I'm going to try to post a couple of pics of my kimono quilt, with the help of a nice lady, Rose. Thanks, Rose. This quilt was for a very dear friend, who unfortunately was diagnosed with stomach cancer shortly before I delivered it to her, it is now in Japan with her brother and his family.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:01 AM

A very nice lady on the board, Rose, told me how to post pics, but I must have done something wrong, since they didn't show up, but if you go here: Oriental blocks, you'll see a few blocks that I had done. Unfortunately, my friend didn't live very much longer after I delivered the completed quilt to her, and the quilt is now in Japan with my friend's brother and his family.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:19 AM

I made it home from work let me see if I can find pics of some of my PP, my avatar is one.

These are just a few I have in the computer. The picture ones I purchased or used a free pattern from designers. The non pictures I made the pattern (though sometimes from pictures)
Old 01-30-2018, 09:57 AM

I love paper piecing, I always end up giving them away. They have some good classes on Craftsy that really help. Watch for a sale or try their monthly thing free for first month and see if it is worth it to you. Have done nice quilts in good time with them.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:13 AM

That Rooster is awesome!

Originally Posted by Faintly Artistic View Post
I wouldn't enjoy a class that made you buy expensive rulers, patterns, etc. I want to know the basic techniques and do my own thing.
I have only purchased 1 pattern and was glad I did. This rooster is an Ann Shaw pattern and she does a good job explaining.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]587935[/ATTACH]
Old 01-30-2018, 11:54 AM

I am terrified of it. All the demonstrations seemed too confusing for me. Even the people doing it would check and double check if they had things lined up correctly. It seemed very tedious and time-consuming. There are beautiful results, but I am too nervous to handle something like that.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:06 PM

I did not know how to pp until I joined the FW quilt group and managed to teach myself (with bad habits, I think) and enjoy doing it. Laura A. Hird had a disk with the patterns on the first book that connected to EQ7, printing out the block, templates and pp. I printed out the templates to cut each piece for paper piecing pattern for each block. I traced the pp pattern lines on the back side, so could paste the fabric piece in the correct spot and sew from the back side. A 12 x 12 glass set in a 'frame' with small legs on it so small counter lights could light up the underneath and show the lines on the glass top. The tubes of school paste glued each fabric piece in place for me to sew in the correct order of number sequence. It worked for me, and I am still enjoying that way today. It works for me. But I feel like I am back in kindergarten of quilting classes when I look at all the beautiful blocks and quilts show in this topic discussion. My hat is off the their beautiful work they have shown here. Wow! .
Old 01-30-2018, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

The quilts being shown are fabulous!!!
I just ordered the Sawtooth Cats pattern- I have to make it!!!!